• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Matted hair in long-haired guinea pigs

Reaction score
Hi,

Quick question my guinea pig is a long haired a pig who constantly needs her hair cutting and brushed. She doesn’t normally like this but its either that or have matted hair.

I hate it when she’s not happy.

What should I do xx

Thank you.

So i am doing the right thing by cutting it.

She always makes me feel so guilty

yes absolutely doing the right thing,
I have a long haired piggy and he hates hair cuts but it’s something he has to put up with For his own good!

I used to brush my Leo gently with a baby brush every day and give him a bath every few weeks to get any dried poo out of his fur . He even allowed me to blow dry his fur. I also kept his fur trimmed above floor level . He was a gorgeous boy bless him. Albeit I don’t think he was overtly impressed with my hairdressing skills. Would love to see a photo of your piggie. 😁

Attachments

• 916C7B4A-80CB-4B2F-AE13-98648623635F.webp
    916C7B4A-80CB-4B2F-AE13-98648623635F.webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 17
Keep her hair short all the time especially round the bum. I’ll tag @Betsy who wrote the hair cutting guide.
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting
Thanks @Siikibam. Yes @crystalshine you are doing the right thing by cutting your piggies hair. I had to give Betsy a skirt, bum and trouser "do" the other day. Her skirt around the sides was so long she was standing on it. A good inch or two came of both sides. :yikes: Her bum fur was really matted and everso slightly soggy where she had just weed so now she has a very fashionable wedge cut over her bum. I cut only a little bit of her trousers. I don't usually leave it to grow so long but where it's been cold and she lives in an unheated garage, I didn't want to cut it until I really had to. She can now move a lot easier and has a nice dematted and unsoggy botty!

My long haired girl doesn’t like having her bum fur trimmed but if I don’t it gets matted and yucky.
She jumps as if in pain before I’ve touched her, screams as if being murdered and will polish off a generous helping of herbs.
I have to wear PPE (Priscilla Protection Equipment) as she tries to nibble me to express her displeasure.

All four of my long haired guinea pigs loathe hair cuts but ... I hold them firmly and just get on with it. They get treats afterwards (once back in the cage, wont eat when on my lap).

P_20201212_100555.webp

Thanks @Siikibam. Yes @crystalshine you are doing the right thing by cutting your piggies hair. I had to give Betsy a skirt, bum and trouser "do" the other day. Her skirt around the sides was so long she was standing on it. A good inch or two came of both sides. :yikes: Her bum fur was really matted and everso slightly soggy where she had just weed so now she has a very fashionable wedge cut over her bum. I cut only a little bit of her trousers. I don't usually leave it to grow so long but where it's been cold and she lives in an unheated garage, I didn't want to cut it until I really had to. She can now move a lot easier and has a nice dematted and unsoggy botty!
Thank you this really helps. I don’t feel so bad now.

Their names are sapphire and star. They will be 3 at Easter
Sapphire wasn’t happy this morning when I had to cut her fur and clip her nails. Lol

Back