Matted Fur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leah Jacques

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boys are both happily healed from the stupid ring worm they had when I had them. They are now also back on sawdust as the fleece meant they ended up with wet bums sitting in the same spot. They now seem to be getting matted fur. When I try and sort it they don't really like it even if I'm careful and gentle. Recently sorted a few that were all made around sawdust. Does anyone else have this problem, I have resorted to cutting a few bits out bit I don't like it. It happens on both if our boys :(

Thanks for your help everyone. X

i find this happens with maisie as she has a long sheltie skirt. i keep it trimmed regularly and use a beard trimmer to cut off any matts if she gets those. she doesn't get them as much now luckily, and the beard trimmer seems safer and more gentle than scissors. i did used to have to regularly bum bath her with a wet flannel and small amount of gorgeous guinea shampoo.

Ah I had exactly the same problem with sawdust. My boys are Peruvians and the one hates anyone cutting or brushing his hair. I was at my wits end trying to hold him still while he had a trim and every day new tangles were forming. Fleece was recommended to me with puppy training pads or a absorbent layer underneath but especially term time I don't have time to spot clean morning and night. I even tried giving them fortnightly baths which was a nightmare. Then I found straw.
It's so easy, in the mornings I just cover the poop with a fresh layer and sorted. Underneath the straw I put newspaper and sometimes in winter a towel. It's just so easy and they aren't getting as tangled, it's unavoidable getting a few tangles however short the hair is but now they are so much easier to cut out. I know straw isn't everyone's first choice but I get cheap dust extracted straw and I put it in with my hands making sure there's no sharp bits. Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back