Material ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 1169
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1169

I am thinking about using material like cotton or just fabric for cushions or bedding to use inside my guinea pig cages ::) instead of paying out each month £10 for bedding materials and i buy 2 bags

If i use new materials could i use these and wash them ?

What would the piggies make of them ?
Will they chew them ?
Will it harm them ?
Who else uses materials for the bottom of their cages ? ::)
They dont cost much for material so was thinking it could save me a few £££

Hi you, you need to use fleece (100% polyester) for layering the floor of the cage, you can buy these in blankets and perhaps buy 3 sheets and change them every 3 days or so and then you have spare ones to put in while washing the others O0
Its also best to put a layer of newspaper underneath the fleece as when they wee, it soaks through the fleece. Hope this helps :)

Piggeroo said:
Hi you, you need to use fleece (100% polyester) for layering the floor of the cage, you can buy these in blankets and perhaps buy 3 sheets and change them every 3 days or so and then you have spare ones to put in while washing the others O0
Its also best to put a layer of newspaper underneath the fleece as when they wee, it soaks through the fleece. Hope this helps :)
hi thanks was going to put newspaper down anyway ;)

Cool thanks for that will get some soon after i have only just cleaned them out and have fresh bedding down now O0

Just never use fabric conditioner on them as it will make them waterproof ;D wee will just run off them ;)

Pumpkinpiggie said:
Just never use fabric conditioner on them as it will make them waterproof ;D wee will just run off them ;)
Oh right thanks for that didnt no will have to tell my mum as she does my washing ;D ;D

Having used fleece for 9 months I would say you need a good deal more than newspaper underneath. What will absorb and hold the wee? Do you want your pigs to live on wet fleece?
At the moment I have washable mattress pads manufactured as an incontinence support product. This draws the wee away from the fleece and keeps their feet dry. You just change and wash it with the fleece.
As of tonight I will no longer be using fleece but vetbed instead because I don't like the thought of them ever having to be wet. Also, Boogie likes to play underneath it sometime which is annoying!

I wash it every 3 days.

Mine don't chew it, never have. It's unlikely to harm them, it's non toxic. You may just have holey fleece that's all!

The best value and quality fleece I have found is actually eBay. Honestly, all my fleece from there has been fab. Opt for anti-pil to get the best wear.

piggytoefluff said:
Having used fleece for 9 months I would say you need a good deal more than newspaper underneath. What will absorb and hold the wee? Do you want your pigs to live on wet fleece?
At the moment I have washable mattress pads manufactured as an incontinence support product. This draws the wee away from the fleece and keeps their feet dry. You just change and wash it with the fleece.
As of tonight I will no longer be using fleece but vetbed instead because I don't like the thought of them ever having to be wet. Also, Boogie likes to play underneath it sometime which is annoying!

I wash it every 3 days.

Mine don't chew it, never have. It's unlikely to harm them, it's non toxic. You may just have holey fleece that's all!

The best value and quality fleece I have found is actually eBay. Honestly, all my fleece from there has been fab. Opt for anti-pil to get the best wear.
anti - pil will look at for that ! THANKS
i wouldnt like to use vet bed for mine as its just like buying bedding really as you have to replace it (i think) and thats what i want to try change
:D

Vetbed is good for small cages, i bought a big pice and cut it in two when my girls had their nero cage and just swapped when washing them. But it was far too expensive for my C&C cage and i doubt that much would fit in the washing machine with the rubber base. So now i just have cheap fleeces and newspaper underneath. I have to change the girls every 2-3 days and Ralfie so far has only been changed every 3-4 days because he's not as messy as the girls. I use vetbed for the upper levels and the ramps. x

Piggytoefluff , where did you get the mattress pads from , I use towells under my fleece a th the min but would guess that the pads are even more absorbant because of what they are made for.

jnenbnb said:
Vetbed is good for small cages, i bought a big pice and cut it in two when my girls had their nero cage and just swapped when washing them. But it was far too expensive for my C&C cage and i doubt that much would fit in the washing machine with the rubber base. So now i just have cheap fleeces and newspaper underneath. I have to change the girls every 2-3 days and Ralfie so far has only been changed every 3-4 days because he's not as messy as the girls. I use vetbed for the upper levels and the ramps. x

I have a 5x2 (about 6'x 3') C&C cage, I didn't feel it was too expensive - I paid £22.50 per piece for 2 pieces of vet bed plus £7.50 P&P. Given that it will last a lot longer than cheaper fleece I feel it is better value. Obviously you wash vet bed, it is very flexible and manufactured to be washed in a washing machine. The vet bed I bought and have seen in the shops doesn't have a rubber base, but rubberised (thinly coated) woven matting. It hasn't been problematic so far - they've been on it 4 days and I've washed a set prior to use.

I bought my matress pads on eBay from coastal linen supplies. It was buy-it-now-or-best-offer. I thought they were less smelly than towels (but maybe I just have smelly towels!).

Wellbought some material VERY thick and gorg patterns ;D Well.... I put it in choc chocs cage with her 2 daughters and the next day it was MINGIN- I had to throw it away - NEVER EVER gonna use material - I think ill stick to normal shaving :( I just dont no how you people can cope with using material or vet bed as mine trud it all in and peed in one place but just looked horrid and i just cant do with it unfortunately ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back