• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mass in abdomen

VivienOblivion

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My sweet baby Boozle is currently 5.5 years old. My trusted guinea pig savvy vet recently felt a lump in her abdomen. The ultrasound showed that she indeed has a mass there, and they suspected it to be uterine cancer. She thought it would be a straightforward operation, and it should be fine to wait for two weeks till both her and the other guinea pig savvy vet can both be present.

However, during the operation, she discovered that Boozle’s mass was attached to many vital organs. This included the intestines, kidney, and possibly more. Furthermore, it has grown from what felt like 4 cm to around 7 cm in two weeks time. She said it was a very strange case, because parts of the intestines seems to be enveloped in the mass. She said she has never seen this before. She was not sure if it was uterine cancer or lymphoma, nor if it is benign or malignant. She said that it is very likely that it is uterine cancer because they are known to attach to other organs. In addition, based on the speed in which the mass grew, she suspected it was malignant and quite invasive. She decided it was too risky to remove the mass, and said that there is almost 0% chance that Boozle would survive the operation as a result of the complications. The intestines are very delicate and small, and one small move could ruin her digestive system. They gave me the option to euthanise her, and they were leaning more towards just not waking her up from the anaesthesia because this mass will soon cause Boozle to suffer. But I decided against it because all of this happened so suddenly. I am not ready yet at all. From expecting a simple operation with minimised risks to terminal prognosis in a span of hours. Plus, Boozle still seems to be enjoying life and being a happy guinea pig. I just can’t choose to end it for her yet.

This is also what has got the vets scratching their heads in utter confusion. Boozle seems to be acting relatively normal, like a healthy guinea pig. She is eating, drinking, walking around, and pooping. There were some minor issues, such as the fact that she would refuse specific types of vegetables sometimes, while accepting other ones, lay down more often, or poop a few irregular shaped poops between normal ones. The vets and I both attributed these issues to vegetable preference and old age, because Boozle’s cage mates also do this. However, recently there has been a new development with her breathing. It appears to be more laborious than before. The vet said it’s possible that it is caused by the mass in the abdomen, which makes the breathing motion appear to be more noticeable.

The vets are very confused about the fact that the mass is not already causing more obvious signs of discomfort, illness, or digestive problems. She also handled the operation and anaesthesia very well. They have given Boozle the prognosis that she may have a few days left, or a few weeks, or a few months. They don’t know for sure, but it won’t be long.

At the moment, Boozle is one day into recovering from her operation. She seems to be doing okay, still eating a little bit of hay, pellets, and accepting vegetables. We are of course syringe feeding her critical care. She was not pooping in the first six hours, but then she started to poop small irregular pieces. Now, hours later, she seems to be pooping more and the pieces look more regular in shape.

I am freaking out about this whole situation because I love Boozle so much. She first came together with 2 other ladies, and they were all very close. Sadly, both her best friends passed away already. I really want to save Boozle, because she has always been my favourite. She is an amazingly sweet and loving guinea pig, kind of like a mother to my other younger pigs. She seems so strong and resilient, surprising all the vets with how well she has been doing, and how well she is still doing, in spite of her current condition. It appears to me that she still wants to live, and that we can both agree on.

And that is why I’m posting here. I would really appreciate your opinions on a couple of questions I have in mind.

1. I have read that abscesses can also attach to nearby organs, like uterine cancer. It is also one of the most common causes behind a mass that is mistaken for a tumour in humans. Have any of you heard of this happening with guinea pigs? Is it good to ask the vet to inspect it further to assess the possibility that it could be an intra-abscess instead of a tumour?
2. Is it normal for guinea pigs to act so normal, with hardly any noticeable signs of illness, while they are terminally ill with cancer? Could this suggest that maybe it is an abscess?
3. How can the vet assess if a mass is an intra-abscess or a tumour without an invasive operation? Do guinea pigs display different symptoms in each?
4. Do you guys know if it is indeed nearly impossible to detach a mass from the intestines without guaranteed lethal complications during or post-op? Is it worth it to get a second opinion on this?

Thank you guys in advance for your replies. I’m just so confused and sad about everything. Any help would be appreciated!

Stunning girl! So sorry to hear this sad news. I have no experience in this but just wanted to wish you many more happy days with Boozle ❤️🤞

I am so sorry for your recent diagnosis with little Boozle, shes gorgeous! I have unfortunately lost 4 piggies to cancerous tumours in the last year, only 1 showed any outward signs due to the placement of the tumours, as they were on her lung and thymus is made swallowing and breathing difficult. But the other 3 showed absolutely no sign until the week or day of their passing. They are brave, stoic little creatures.
Unfortunately your vet is correct, the intestines are extremely thin walled and delicate, even just moving them out the way during surgery can upset them, trying to surgically detach them from anything would be almost impossible.

I have no idea if they would be able to do a fine needle aspirate on an internal tumour, my vet did stick a needle in my recently passed Paddingtons mass but he had already passed at this point, it is probably not worth the risk in a living piggy, if it is an abscess it could cause it to rupture internally, I would imagine any biopsies would need more surgery.

It is certainly worth asking your vets opinion about the possibility of an abscess to put your mind at ease but unfortunately as far as I know an experienced vet will be able to tell the difference, all the tissue of the tumours I have seen have looked angry and very obviously cancerous and 'bad' rather than healthy tissue walling off an abscess, but as I say, its worth asking even for just peace of mind.

No advice I’m sorry but I just want to wish you and your gorgeous girl good luck and hoping for the best for you both ❤️

I am so sorry yo read this about beautiful Boozle.
I once had a piggy who had what turned out to be an abscess in her abdomen. She had become unwell and the vet could feel the mass so carried out exploratory surgery to see if there was anything that could be done. Unfortunately the abscess was adhered to other things and therefore inoperable, so I opted to not have her woken up.
Unfortunately guinea pigs are just too small and their intestine walls too thin to be able to have adhesions removed.
It is good that Boozle is not showing signs of pain or illness and I hope she recovers well from her operation and is around for a while yet.
I currently have a piggy coming up to seven who has a small abdominal mass, possibly uterine, discovered when I took her to the vet about possible arthritis but due to her age and other health concerns she is not a candidate for surgery. She still enjoys life, food, etc so I am just keeping an eye on her but if she starts to struggle I will know it is time to have her pts.

I am so sorry for your recent diagnosis with little Boozle, shes gorgeous! I have unfortunately lost 4 piggies to cancerous tumours in the last year, only 1 showed any outward signs due to the placement of the tumours, as they were on her lung and thymus is made swallowing and breathing difficult. But the other 3 showed absolutely no sign until the week or day of their passing. They are brave, stoic little creatures.
Unfortunately your vet is correct, the intestines are extremely thin walled and delicate, even just moving them out the way during surgery can upset them, trying to surgically detach them from anything would be almost impossible.

I have no idea if they would be able to do a fine needle aspirate on an internal tumour, my vet did stick a needle in my recently passed Paddingtons mass but he had already passed at this point, it is probably not worth the risk in a living piggy, if it is an abscess it could cause it to rupture internally, I would imagine any biopsies would need more surgery.

It is certainly worth asking your vets opinion about the possibility of an abscess to put your mind at ease but unfortunately as far as I know an experienced vet will be able to tell the difference, all the tissue of the tumours I have seen have looked angry and very obviously cancerous and 'bad' rather than healthy tissue walling off an abscess, but as I say, its worth asking even for just peace of mind.

Thank you Eriathwen 😊 and for your detailed response. I am very sorry to hear about your piggies :( you’ve lost so many in such a short time, I can’t imagine the pain you must’ve been going through. Was there nothing more that could’ve been done for them?

It does sound very alarming that you say piggies can indeed show no signs whatsoever, which means it cannot be used as an indicator for how severe the illness is.

I suppose I will accept that if it is indeed a tumour, surgery in this case is definitely not possible. There is probably no need for a second opinion.

I’m sorry to hear about Paddington :( what exactly happened to him, why did your vet try needle aspirate when he had already passed? Hmm, that does sound bad yeah :( are the rupture odds high?

Indeed, I do also hope that most experienced can tell the difference. Can abscesses also behave very invasive? However, I’m holding onto some hope that maybe it is a confirmation bias based on previous assumption of what she expects to find. Plus, there is limited time to investigate since they can’t be under anaesthesia for too long. I know I’m just grasping at straws here, but I just don’t want to give up hope yet :( I will definitely ask my vet to consider this possibility for my peace of mind.

Thank you for your advice and info ❤️

My pleasure, we're all piggy lovers here and many of us have been through similar to you ❤️

It’s definitely nice to speak to like-minded people right now ❤️ I have to go to work on Monday (I wish I worked remotely so badly right now 😭), and I just don’t want to leave the house, knowing any day or minute could be her last. How do you deal with this? :(

Thank you Eriathwen 😊 and for your detailed response. I am very sorry to hear about your piggies :( you’ve lost so many in such a short time, I can’t imagine the pain you must’ve been going through. Was there nothing more that could’ve been done for them?

It does sound very alarming that you say piggies can indeed show no signs whatsoever, which means it cannot be used as an indicator for how severe the illness is.

I suppose I will accept that if it is indeed a tumour, surgery in this case is definitely not possible. There is probably no need for a second opinion.

I’m sorry to hear about Paddington :( what exactly happened to him, why did your vet try needle aspirate when he had already passed? Hmm, that does sound bad yeah :( are the rupture odds high?

Indeed, I do also hope that most experienced can tell the difference. Can abscesses also behave very invasive? However, I’m holding onto some hope that maybe it is a confirmation bias based on previous assumption of what she expects to find. Plus, there is limited time to investigate since they can’t be under anaesthesia for too long. I know I’m just grasping at straws here, but I just don’t want to give up hope yet :( I will definitely ask my vet to consider this possibility for my peace of mind.

Thank you for your advice and info ❤️

You're welcome! Yes it has been very difficult 😔

Unfortunately nothing could have been done for any of them, Thistle was kept comfortable on quite a cocktail of medications and syringe feeding for quite some time, Daisys tumour had unfortunately grown around the aorta, the main artery supplying her legs and was inoperable without damaging the artery, she was also kept comfortable for 9 months with medication until she passed, she literally went from fine to gone in a few hours 😔 Clover we had absolutely no idea she was even unwell until she very suddenly passed and we had a post mortem done, where they found she had a brain tumour.

And most recently Paddington started to urinate blood and was painful when peeing, his bladder felt large and inflamed but they weren't sure if he had a stone or a tumour, he was given medication for a UTI and was supposed to go in yesterday for xrays and possibly surgery depending on what they found but he began straining and then collapsed right before we got him to the vet, we had suspected his bladder issue was cancerous and at this point everything pointed to that being the case, there was unfortunately no way to bring him back as he had begun shutting down so we put him to sleep.
My vet stuck a needle into the mass they had been able to feel in order to see what it was, he wouldn't have been able to do that while he was alive in case it ruptured his bladder, what he found were cancerous changes unfortunately. And wouldn't have been operable.

I would assume rupturing an internal abscess would be a pretty high risk as there's usually a lot of pressure built up inside them, so sticking a needle in would be like popping a balloon. Unless the stuff inside had hardened of course, but I'm not sure if there would be any way of knowing beforehand.

I can totally relate to feeling like you're grasping at straws, when I was told about Daisys tumour I sat up until 4am reading research about cancer, laboratory trials in rodents etc..as if I had any hope of curing her, but I was desperate to try something or at least slow the growth. Its not easy coming to terms with a terminal diagnosis, and grieving while they're still with us is incredibly hard.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry - it is not the news you want to ever get. Internal grows are sadly not all that rare in older guinea pigs; between the age risk and the fact the masses (or abscesses) often adhere to other organs operations rare come off.

When my Hywel developed a band of swelling as a rare post- neutering op complication aged 16 months and it started adhering very painfully to the gut, his life was on a knife edge for a few weeks. Thankfully, with a very strong antibiotic it did swell down and contracted away from the gut again so Hywel had another 5 1/2 years of extra (and very happy) life as the partriarch of a large group of sows but it was a very narrow escape.
My vet - one of the best piggy operating vets in the country at the time when it comes to guinea pigs - described operating on the gut as 'like trying to stitch paper to butter'. I think that this may help you to put the challenge of an operation into a bit more of a perspective. Gut operations are rather rare and frankly mostly don't come off because guinea pig guts are so very thin and small.

I made the decision on the same vet's recommendation when they recommended to not operate when what I expected to be an ovarian cyst turned out to be something much nastier in a needle aspiration. Tanni thankfully had another 15 months of life and eventually died from a sudden heart attack with a mouth full of hay but your mass is different and sadly very fast growing.
Guinea pigs are prey animals wired to suppress symptoms of illness to an amazing degree; that is why by the time you notice any symptoms or they can be diagnosed, it is sadly often too late. :(

Please be aware that the grieving process doesn't start with a death but it starts the moment you realise that time is limited. It always comes as a hugeshock and as a total heartbreak; your instinctive first reaction is usually too look for ways to prolong a life despite the odds. It is the second worst moment in the whole grieving process apart from the ectual loss itself.

Be kind with yourself. It is OK not be OK in this kind of situation but please put your girl's wellbeing before your own fears of loss, and you cannot go wrong. Any vet - when politely and respectfully asked for their honest opinion and their reasons - will give them if you need more of an assessment as to whether it is worth risking an operation or not.

You may find the discussion around make-or-break operations and end of life decisions in the links below helpful so you can make your own decisions if not with a less aching heart with a clearer mind. Ultimately, you as the owner are the only one who can make them. It is both a right but also sometimes a very challenging responsibility and sadly not all that rare the most loving gift you can make a beloved pet.
Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A practical and supportive information collection
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

HUGS

It’s definitely nice to speak to like-minded people right now ❤️ I have to go to work on Monday (I wish I worked remotely so badly right now 😭), and I just don’t want to leave the house, knowing any day or minute could be her last. How do you deal with this? :(

By the way, I love your username hahaha 😆
Thank you 😁
If I'm honest I'm really lucky to have a lovely flexible employer and work in the animal industry so my fab boss totally understands.
As long as she is warm, comfortable and has food and water available and the company of her piggy friends, she will be happy with that I'm sure.
It's heartbreaking to come back to them not knowing if they'll still be with you. But if you can't get that time off don't beat yourself up, there's nothing to do about it. Boozle won't!
Just enjoy the time you do have left with her, however long that may be and don't worry about Monday yet, you can cross that bridge when you come to it. What will happen will happen the way it's meant to, its God's way. There's a reason for everything ❤️

Bless Boozle (what an excellent name!). I sincerely wish the best for both of you. However regarding your questions, I can’t share any great news, unfortunately. Piggies are herd animals and they can mask their symptoms until they are gravely ill. My lovely Posie got pregnant accidentally last year (at 6 and a half - she had had litters before) and I noticed in the last month that she had breathing issues - I thought it was the pressure of the babies. Unfortunately she gave birth to two beautifully formed stillborns and she died a week later. The vet said that she was riddled with cancer and probably just stayed alive to have her babies - unbelievably sad. But the only symptom she showed was breathing issues and her poos had become more round rather than pellet shaped - she was still eating like a horse and wheeking until a day before she died, when the breathing was too painful for her and we had to do the kindest thing.

I have tried to prolong the lives of a couple of piggies - Bobo and Bimble. Bobo was taken the vet with suspected bladder stones and the sh*tty incompetent vets dropped her during the procedure and she was paralysed. I took her to an exotics specialist and she gained movement again in her back legs through physio, but she was never the same again and did succumb to bladder stones. Bimble died of heart failure and days before she passed, the vet (different vet thankfully) showed me how to inject her with furosemide for her fluid retention, but I think even though I loved her so much, I prolonged her suffering.

Boozle is obviously a lovely pig - we love all our guineas, but there are some that you get particularly attached to. I know, appreciate and empathise that you are searching for answers for Boozle. She is unfortunately getting on a bit and invasive surgery, as you know, is pretty horrible for piggies as they can have awful post operative pain.

My suggestion to you (not necessarily the right one) is to enjoy Boozle while she is feeling happy and fine - give her all the naughty treats that she likes, give her massive cuddles, and appreciate the time that you have with her.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry - it is not the news you want to ever get. Internal grows are sadly not all that rare in older guinea pigs; between the age risk and the fact the masses (or abscesses) often adhere to other organs operations rare come off.

When my Hywel developed a band of swelling as a rare post- neutering op complication aged 16 months and it started adhering very painfully to the gut, his life was on a knife edge for a few weeks. Thankfully, with a very strong antibiotic it did swell down and contracted away from the gut again so Hywel had another 5 1/2 years of extra (and very happy) life as the partriarch of a large group of sows but it was a very narrow escape.
My vet - one of the best piggy operating vets in the country at the time - when it comes to guinea pigs described operating on the gut as 'like trying to stitch paper to butter'. I think that this may help you to put the challenge with an operation into a bit more of a perspective. Gut operations are rather rare and frankly mostly don't come off because guinea pig guts are so very thin and small.

I made the decision on the same vet's recommendation when they recommended to not operate when what I expected to be an ovarian cyst turned out to be something much nastier in a needle aspiration. She thankfully had another 15 months of life but your mass is different and sadly very fast growing.
Guinea pigs are prey animals wired to suppress symptoms of illness to an amazing degree; that is why by the time you notice any symptoms or they can be diagnosed, it is sadly often too late. :(

Please be aware that the grieving process doesn't start with a death but it starts the moment you realise that time is limited. It always comes as a shock and a total heartbreak; your instinctive reaction is too look for ways to prolong a life. It is the second worst moment in the whole grieving process apart from the ectual loss itself.

Be kind with yourself. It is OK not be OK in this kind of situation but please put your girl's wellbeing before your own fears of loss, and you cannot go wrong. Any vet - when politely and respectfully asked for their honest opinion and their reasons - will give them if you need more of an assessment as to whether it is worth an operation or not.

You may find the discussion around make-or-break operations and end of life decisions in the links below helpful so you can make your own decisions if not with a less aching heart with a clearer mind. Ultimately, you as the owner are the only one who can make them. It is both a right but also sometimes a very challenging responsibility and sadly not all that rare the most loving gift you can make a beloved pet.
Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A practical and supportive information collection
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

HUGS
I couldn’t agree more, unfortunately I’m sure that most of us have suffered this.

I couldn’t agree more, unfortunately I’m sure that most of us have suffered this.
My first piggy Rico had a ginormous mass, most likely cancerous, on his spleen when he was scanned before he died, not a single symptom until the very end when bloat snd GI stasis eventually took him. They really do hide illness incredibly well

Hello everyone,

My sweet baby Boozle is currently 5.5 years old. My trusted guinea pig savvy vet recently felt a lump in her abdomen. The ultrasound showed that she indeed has a mass there, and they suspected it to be uterine cancer. She thought it would be a straightforward operation, and it should be fine to wait for two weeks till both her and the other guinea pig savvy vet can both be present.

However, during the operation, she discovered that Boozle’s mass was attached to many vital organs. This included the intestines, kidney, and possibly more. Furthermore, it has grown from what felt like 4 cm to around 7 cm in two weeks time. She said it was a very strange case, because parts of the intestines seems to be enveloped in the mass. She said she has never seen this before. She was not sure if it was uterine cancer or lymphoma, nor if it is benign or malignant. She said that it is very likely that it is uterine cancer because they are known to attach to other organs. In addition, based on the speed in which the mass grew, she suspected it was malignant and quite invasive. She decided it was too risky to remove the mass, and said that there is almost 0% chance that Boozle would survive the operation as a result of the complications. The intestines are very delicate and small, and one small move could ruin her digestive system. They gave me the option to euthanise her, and they were leaning more towards just not waking her up from the anaesthesia because this mass will soon cause Boozle to suffer. But I decided against it because all of this happened so suddenly. I am not ready yet at all. From expecting a simple operation with minimised risks to terminal prognosis in a span of hours. Plus, Boozle still seems to be enjoying life and being a happy guinea pig. I just can’t choose to end it for her yet.

This is also what has got the vets scratching their heads in utter confusion. Boozle seems to be acting relatively normal, like a healthy guinea pig. She is eating, drinking, walking around, and pooping. There were some minor issues, such as the fact that she would refuse specific types of vegetables sometimes, while accepting other ones, lay down more often, or poop a few irregular shaped poops between normal ones. The vets and I both attributed these issues to vegetable preference and old age, because Boozle’s cage mates also do this. However, recently there has been a new development with her breathing. It appears to be more laborious than before. The vet said it’s possible that it is caused by the mass in the abdomen, which makes the breathing motion appear to be more noticeable.

The vets are very confused about the fact that the mass is not already causing more obvious signs of discomfort, illness, or digestive problems. She also handled the operation and anaesthesia very well. They have given Boozle the prognosis that she may have a few days left, or a few weeks, or a few months. They don’t know for sure, but it won’t be long.

At the moment, Boozle is one day into recovering from her operation. She seems to be doing okay, still eating a little bit of hay, pellets, and accepting vegetables. We are of course syringe feeding her critical care. She was not pooping in the first six hours, but then she started to poop small irregular pieces. Now, hours later, she seems to be pooping more and the pieces look more regular in shape.

I am freaking out about this whole situation because I love Boozle so much. She first came together with 2 other ladies, and they were all very close. Sadly, both her best friends passed away already. I really want to save Boozle, because she has always been my favourite. She is an amazingly sweet and loving guinea pig, kind of like a mother to my other younger pigs. She seems so strong and resilient, surprising all the vets with how well she has been doing, and how well she is still doing, in spite of her current condition. It appears to me that she still wants to live, and that we can both agree on.

And that is why I’m posting here. I would really appreciate your opinions on a couple of questions I have in mind.

1. I have read that abscesses can also attach to nearby organs, like uterine cancer. It is also one of the most common causes behind a mass that is mistaken for a tumour in humans. Have any of you heard of this happening with guinea pigs? Is it good to ask the vet to inspect it further to assess the possibility that it could be an intra-abscess instead of a tumour?
2. Is it normal for guinea pigs to act so normal, with hardly any noticeable signs of illness, while they are terminally ill with cancer? Could this suggest that maybe it is an abscess?
3. How can the vet assess if a mass is an intra-abscess or a tumour without an invasive operation? Do guinea pigs display different symptoms in each?
4. Do you guys know if it is indeed nearly impossible to detach a mass from the intestines without guaranteed lethal complications during or post-op? Is it worth it to get a second opinion on this?

Thank you guys in advance for your replies. I’m just so confused and sad about everything. Any help would be appreciated! Hello! I have a sweet baby who is 6 years and about 5 months and she was just diagnosed today with a tumor in her abdomen the vet gave no details about what kind of tumor it was or anything , we have her scheduled to be euthanized on this Thursday but I really do not want to see her go they said she would most likely pass during surgery I am not sure what to do?

Hello! I have a sweet baby who is 6 years and about 5 months and she was just diagnosed today with a tumor in her abdomen the vet gave no details about what kind of tumor it was or anything , we have her scheduled to be euthanized on this Thursday but I really do not want to see her go they said she would most likely pass during surgery I am not sure what to do?

I'm so very sorry to hear about Boozle. Boozle is a gorgeous piggy and from the photo you can see how happy Boozle is!

Like others who have commented, I have had two piggies diagnosed with cancer and in both cases it was terminal as nothing could be done, even though we got them straight to the vets within days of finding their lumps.

At four years old, we found Ginger to have a lump in a similar place to where she had two abscesses removed at under 6 months old. We thought it was another abscess, booked the vet appointment and didn't think more of it. A couple of days later my boyfriend noticed Leia, also 4, had a small lump between her eye and her ear. Local vet thought Ginger had an abscess and Leia's was a tooth issue. So we took them to the specialist vet on the same day, we thought Ginger to have an operation and Leia to have her teeth looked at. I still remember the phone call when the vet braced me that it was bad news for both of them. It caught my boyfriend and I completely off guard.

Ginger's was actually a tumour and the specialist actually found numerous lumps all over her body which we couldn't even feel. They thought it could be lymphoma and it had spread all throughout her body that quickly. There was nothing they could do and gave her a prognosis of a couple of weeks based on how fast it was. Leia's lump was a tumour growing in her head and they couldn't do anything about it due to it's location by her eye and that it seemed attached to other things. Leia's lump had hardly grown at all, it was tiny and not bothering her so they thought she'd carry on happily with it.

Turned out that Leia's grew very fast and was growing behind her eye. We kept her comfortable as long as she was happy although it wasn't a pretty sight at all to look at. Then one day although she was on all the strong painkillers she showed us she wasn't happy by sitting hunched in the corner looking sad, we arranged for her to be PTS. This happened in only few weeks. I remember that although we were already grieving for both of them (a very unexpected double whammy. Leia had never had one vet trip or health issue before this!) we were so focused on Ginger thinking she would pass any day.

We lost Leia much quicker than expected and Ginger lived on, loving life for another 3 months! The vet couldn't believe it. We took her often to make sure she was happy and it wasn't us holding on to her. Vet confirmed each time she was comfortable and happy. She ran around, popcorned, was eating hard treats and climbing up on things. Over this time all her lumps actually disappeared as she lost weight. Towards the end she was very skinny, bony girl. It was gradual so we didn't notice but having looked back at younger healthier photos of her you could definitely tell she was fighting cancer cos her coat totally changed to thin and puffy and her face seemed swollen/puffy, but she was so happy every day. It was like she had no idea she was so unwell. We went from dreading walking in each day in case she wasn't there to almost forgetting she had terminal cancer.

The night she passed we were FaceTiming my boyfriend's family. They'd just had salad. Ginger had filled up on that, was eating a couple of nuggets. We noticed she dropped a nugget a few times and stumbled. Before I could think hmm odd, she ran to the other side of the cage, stumbled again and didn't get up this time. I picked her up and she seemed her spirit had already gone. Her body went through the physical motions of shutting down and that was it. I spoke to two vets afterwards and they both said that she didn't know a thing about it. She was blissful til the end and she was gone so fast it was the best ending we could have given her.

I know that's a lot to read but I just wanted to share that you can never know how much time they have left with a diagnosis like this but it will be filled with nothing but love, happiness and memories. The anticipation is a horrible place to be. We're going through it again with our 6 year old but you also appreciate them and soak in everything about them. You can spoil them rotten and make more happy memories. One day they'll be what you remember and not the sadness. Just look after yourself too. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to do everything though because you've always been giving them all your love and happy times. Ginger had all the things so many times over because we thought it might be the last time... no wonder she was so happy!

Back