• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mars not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all, I took Mars to the vet this morning as he was having trouble eating, its exactly the same as Monty (his brother) when he had his back teeth trouble, only this time it was a different vet and he said he couldnt see anything wrong with him. Bit confused as he gave him a load of anti biotics etc but didnt do anything else, last time Monty had his teeth filed and hes fine now. It cost me £50 and I dont think hes any better :-\ Ill keep an eye on him tonight and syringe feed him, I expect Ill be back to the vets in the morning though.

£50 for a consult and antibiotics sounds very expensive to me.Did the vet look at Mars teeth properly,i.e did he use buccal pad seperators and have a good look to see if there is a spur on the molars?.If the teeth are examined with an otoscope,which is what a lot of vets do,the molars at the very back,and any spurs can not be seen.

Mars had an anaesthetic so I assume the vet had a proper look, but as he didnt talk to me afterwards I have no idea, only the receptionist told me that he did not find anything and all I could do was to keep him warm! That evening poor Mars looked terrible, he was really still and didnt even move his eyes or mouth, I really thought that was it. I have been syringe feeding him CC and hes improved quite dramatically now which is good news. Hes still not 100% and I do think theres something not right in his mouth still :-\

Poor Mars. I guess the anesthetic made him feel groggy for the rest of the day on Saturday which is why he looked so bad then. :(

I think you should take him to see a different vet for a second opinion as something is obviously not right with little Mars.

I agree.I think you need to find a vet or rodentologist.There is no need to aneasthetise for dental examination or for dental work(unless it is very complicated).It is very easy to miss a spur at the very back of the mouth.

What area are you in?

Poor poor Mars.

Yes, where are you? Check out the recommended vets section.

Kisses for the patient :-* :-* :-*

Today hes really not looking good, he wont eat a thing, he tries to but cant manage it, I'm really worried :( I am in Fareham, hants.

Can you get to Reading? There is a Rodentologist and if need be you will be referred to Jenny who also sees lots of guineas and all mine including the rescues. I'd meet you at the station if you like.

please start syringe feeding him, if he doesn't start eating his guts will shut down and he won't start eating again.

sorry i see you are already
good luck piggie hugs coming your way x

There are 2 vets in Surrey who were taught by Peter Gurney how to do dental work,but I guess this is much too far to travel?.

if you are in hampshire try Andover, Strathmore Vets. They brought my piggies back form the dead basically. highly recommend and tehy just won best practice vets from Pet plan too. saw the award Monday.

You need to find a practise that can do dental work without anaestethetic using Buccal Seperators. It may not be the teeth it could be a Fungal mouth problem which is why its important to get to someone who has seen these types of problems before.

No worries Mary, I don't care which vet she goes to but Reading is closer :)

I agree Karen, the shorter the journey the better,less stress on the piggy.

Hi there, thank you all so much for your help in finding a good vet (sorry I have been away for a few days). Well I took Mars back to the same practice to see a different vet, she also couldnt see anything wrong with his teeth and said it must be a throat infection, I took him home and gave him antibiotics but unfortunately he passed away a few days later :'( :'( :'( I think I will be chosing a different vet in future

So sorry to read this, i don't think antibiotics was the right treatment on its own. But you still don't knowwhat the eventual outcome would've been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back