Mammals at Repticon

GuineaPigLover7891

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Today I went to this reptile convention. This was only because my sister has a bearded dragon and a crested gecko. First off, the reptiles were kept in tiny containers. Although that was bad, this was not my main reason for posting. They had some small animals as well. They had rats, birds, mice, rabbits, pigs, hamsters, hedgehogs, degas, and skinny pigs. They looked as if they were kept in horrible condition! There was aspen bedding, small wired bottom cages, and horrible junk pellets. I feel so bad for those poor animals. Some of them might end up as food. I posted some pictures down below, so you can see what it was like. Sorry if some of them are blurry.ABD5B8E9-BB59-4EB5-9141-C63DB4CA984F.webpD8B86801-5DF5-4EF5-BB7B-292E5A23F6AF.webp57B04C92-8908-4628-84FF-452F204F9FC8.webp051CBD12-D46D-4E20-9840-2F363D5861FC.webp480088D0-B310-4C20-B21E-A1B9D924FD74.webp26B54B1C-1DFF-476E-8531-F2A50C2975CF.webp4326291A-1DCA-4F4C-9116-D3A71E7C5E7F.webpAEF85E05-D9A7-4095-810B-52EE4824E346.webpF2A76FF1-A0A1-4B7C-B1F8-C1EDFFB2FF95.webp55025238-D4D9-40A5-A2ED-2542E917EE31.webp

That's just so depressing
:( :help::ple::bye:
I guess there was no-one to complain to?
Hopefully it's just temporary accommodation (can't even call it that) for the convention?
Although I doubt it :(

There was no one I could talk to. Most people there bred reptiles. I don’t know about breeding reptiles, but I know most small pets are overpopulated. I’m guessing these mammals were a quick way to get money. The worst part was that I knew that some of those people would probably encourage people to buy bad supplies. I’m also wouldn’t be surprised if some of them ended up as food. I know reptiles have to eat, so I’m not against feeding frozen. But, live food, in my opinion, is just cruel.:td:

There was no one I could talk to. Most people there bred reptiles. I don’t know about breeding reptiles, but I know most small pets are overpopulated. I’m guessing these mammals were a quick way to get money. The worst part was that I knew that some of those people would probably encourage people to buy bad supplies. I’m also wouldn’t be surprised if some of them ended up as food. I know reptiles have to eat, so I’m not against feeding frozen. But, live food, in my opinion, is just cruel.:td:
I have heard of it too 😔. I hear that there are a lot of male skinny pigs.

3rd picture down, if the snakes scare them who on earth thought it was a good idea to bring them there?!
This is absolutely horrible, unfair to these animals as they will either be used for breeding or turn out to be snake food.
It’s not like they could turn around and say “oh look buddy, I don’t want to be here” or “I need a bigger house”
They can’t voice their opinions like people can
I fear for them... oh the places they could end up...

They should do us all a favour and do a little research, because this is shameful :cen:

As awful as this looks, the reality is that this a show where people will do whatever is necessary to make money.
It looks like most of the animals there were for sale, and their cages are most likely travel or temporary set ups for the day.
Sadly selling animals is not always an ethical business where the needs of the animals are put first (or even considered).
However this is also the every day reality for many animals from backyard breeders, which is why is it always a good idea to try and be aware of where your animals come from.
But in all honesty even though many pet shop enclosures are larger than those shown above, the animals there stand a very high change of ending up in a cage that is too small when the new owners buy on a whim and take pet shop advice.

Back