Mama guinea pig

emmarob87

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi my guinea pig had a baby about 3 weeks ago now, she's eating hay, veggies and lots of pellets. I've never had her when she hasn't been pregnant and she is a rather small guinea pig in general. In my kitchen scales she's 154g give or take as she wouldn't sit still. Is this concerning? She's eats a fair amount and however give to her through out the day. And she eats everything.
I've also brought alfalfa hay cubes to help. Is there anything more I can do?

Attachments

• 20230816_163133_resized.webp
    20230816_163133_resized.webp
    66 KB · Views: 14
Have you weighed Mum before today? What does the baby weigh? Xx
I haven't I had to go and buy new scales, baby wouldn't sit still but she has got a lot bigger and I've seen the change, even though mom doesn't look underweight. I'm just worrying if she is losing it and is there anything else I need to give her.

So mum weighs 154g? Are you sure that is correct?
How old is she?
154g is the weight is a very young baby.

What does baby weigh?

Sounds like you’re giving her everything she needs! 154g sounds tiny though! (No offence but I wonder if you’ve got an accurate reading?).

My baby Guinea pig is 150g at 1 week old so I’m just comparing it that. Mum is 640 down from 650g.

As long as she is eating lots and it sounds like you’re doing everything right. Try weighing her again and take a photo of you can xx

I put her In
Sounds like you’re giving her everything she needs! 154g sounds tiny though! (No offence but I wonder if you’ve got an accurate reading?).

My baby Guinea pig is 150g at 1 week old so I’m just comparing it that. Mum is 640 down from 650g.

As long as she is eating lots and it sounds like you’re doing everything right. Try weighing her again and take a photo of you can xx
She was 791g I put her In a bowl no idea what I was reading. She just looks small. Does this seem a normal weight? I see her constantly eating and always make sure she has hay and pellets on hand.

That sounds better!
The important thing is that she puts weight on so make sure you weigh her weekly (daily if you have concerns) so you can monitor her.

I’m not sure at what point you need to reduce mum’s pellets back down to one tablespoon per day now baby will be weaned.

I put her In

She was 791g I put her In a bowl no idea what I was reading. She just looks small. Does this seem a normal weight? I see her constantly eating and always make sure she has hay and pellets on hand.
That sounds much more like it! 🥰

I think she goes back to normal eating about 3 weeks after nursing if I’ve read my homework correctly xx

Back