male piggies

Zorro1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
What are the chances that 2 male guinea pigs will accept each other?
Thanks.

Any bond comes down to character compatibility. It’s perfectly fine to keep two boars together, but they have to like each other. It’s nothing you can control - it’s entirely down to the piggies wanting to be together. I have a boar pair myself As do many others on here.
the best way to find a friend is via dating at a rescue centre but that goes for finding any friend - whether a male or the spayed female you were talking about, not just a same sex friend. If you buy a piggy on spec (from a shop or private seller etc), then you always have to prepare for the possibility they won’t accept each other and then will have to live in separate cages.

A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

I agree completely with @Piggies&buns. Just buying or taking in another pig of any sex and putting him/her with your existing pig is like playing Russian Roulette. Piggies are social creatures and know who they like and who they don’t. If they don’t like someone there’s really nothing you can do about it except separate them. Just imagine how you would feel if you were locked in a small room where you ate, played and slept and without your choosing someone put in another person you couldn’t get away from. You might like them. They might like you. Or you might hate each other and fight. And you can’t get away from them. It’s the same for piggies. Much better to take your pig to a rescue centre and try dating. At least you will find out who he likes and gets on with.

Thank you. 👍 :)

Hi!

Try to contact QLD Guinea Pig Refuge if you live in North Brisbane or further North or Gold Coast Guinea Pig Rescue if you are in South Queensland.
QLD Guinea Pig Refuge Facebook page: QLD Guinea Pig Refuge
Gold Coast Guinea Pig Rescue Facebook page: Gold Coast Guinea Pig Rescue Inc

If necessary, these to two very experienced good welfare standard rescues that both offer boar dating (i.e. allowing your boy to have a say in who they want to be with) can point to further although they are the best rescues in your state. By adopting, you always have a place to fall back on in case the bond goes wrong and you can also neatly avoid all the usual pitfalls that await the unwary buyers.
You can tell them that you have been pointed their way by me if you wish to; they do both know me. ;)

Boys can live together but as piggies&buns said, depends on whether they like each other. I have 2 boars happily living together. They're lovely.

Hi!

Try to contact QLD Guinea Pig Refuge if you live in North Brisbane or further North or Gold Coast Guinea Pig Rescue if you are in South Queensland.
QLD Guinea Pig Refuge Facebook page: QLD Guinea Pig Refuge
Gold Coast Guinea Pig Rescue Facebook page: Gold Coast Guinea Pig Rescue Inc

If necessary, these to two very experienced good welfare standard rescues that both offer boar dating (i.e. allowing your boy to have a say in who they want to be with) can point to further although they are the best rescues in your state. By adopting, you always have a place to fall back on in case the bond goes wrong and you can also neatly avoid all the usual pitfalls that await the unwary buyers.
You can tell them that you have been pointed their way by me if you wish to; they do both know me. ;)
Thank you for the links.
So, do some rescue canters not allow "dating"?

Thank you for the links.
So, do some rescue canters not allow "dating"?

By far not all rescue centres offer piggy dating at the rescue under their expert supervision.

The other problem is that anybody in the English speaking world can call themselves a rescue or a breeder (or anything in between) without licence or supervision.
The listed rescues are those where I can personally guarantee that you and your boy are in very safe hands and that you will neatly avoid all the pitfalls that can await the unwary. The rescues operate to the same welfare standard of our own recommended UK rescues with mandatory quarantine, vet care, pregnancy watch for incoming sows and careful matching up of piggy personalities - and no worries about potential mis-sexing, hidden 'passengers' or fall-outs... it is well worth going the extra mile for total peace of mind; quite literally.

Back