Male piggies fighting after being held

cinnamonandfudge

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i got my boys almost two weeks ago, they are around 17 weeks old. I’m trying to bond with them and get them used to being held so every day I will take them out or the cage and lightly pet them and hand feed them some veggies. They have gotten used to being held for a few minutes but don’t like to be held for too long. Every time I put them back into their cage, they seem to show aggressive behaviours such as purring, nipping and mounting each other. The only time they seem to do this is when I get them out of their cage to clean or handle them. Does anyone know why this is? I’m thinking it’s due to stress? Any tips on how I can make them feel more at ease?

These behaviours aren’t aggressive nor are they fighting. They are normal dominance behaviours.

They are just coming to the end of their period of establishing their relationship in a new environment. This takes around two weeks. During this time you see an increase in dominance.
They are also just coming hormonal teenagers (lasts from when they are 4 months of age until they are 14 months of age). This is also a time when you see an increase in dominance.

Are you taking them out together or one at a time?
If you are separating them, then you are going to cause them to feel the need to resettle their hierarchy each time.
Equally, when you put them in a new space it can also cause a brief period of dominance.
It is important that you respect their hierarchy - keep them together at al times and ensure you handle the dominant piggy first.

When it comes to cage cleaning, each time you clean, you are removing scent from their territory. That will cause a bit of upset. With boars it’s best to only clean half the cage at a time, then do the other half a day or two later. That way, the cage will always smell like them and they find it easier to manage.
Also, with boars, the more you clean the more they will scent mark and the more it will smell. It’s obviously important you remove wet hay and bedding, but don’t fully clean too much and too frequently.

I actually never remove my boys from the cage when cleaning and instead get them used to it by cleaning around them

Hi

Please respect the hierarchy, especially with teenage boars - the leader always comes first, whether that is with his choice of housing, feeding, handling, grooming etc. Whenever he returns to the cage then he will need to make his presence felt but the dominance is more pronounced if the under-boar is getting preferential treatment.

Rumble-strutting and mounting re both mild daily boar behaviours.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

We have got a very helpful information resource for new owners to help them learn what is normal or not and how to deal with the most commonly encountered unanticipated issues. Over 15 years of literally tens of thousands of newbie questions on this forum and up to half a century of owner experience have gone into our very how-to practical and informative guides.
Here is the access link, which you may want to bookmark, browse, read and re-read at need since you will take different things away at different stages of experience: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

These behaviours aren’t aggressive nor are they fighting. They are normal dominance behaviours.

They are just coming to the end of their period of establishing their relationship in a new environment. This takes around two weeks. During this time you see an increase in dominance.
They are also just coming hormonal teenagers (lasts from when they are 4 months of age until they are 14 months of age). This is also a time when you see an increase in dominance.

Are you taking them out together or one at a time?
If you are separating them, then you are going to cause them to feel the need to resettle their hierarchy each time.
Equally, when you put them in a new space it can also cause a brief period of dominance.
It is important that you respect their hierarchy - keep them together at al times and ensure you handle the dominant piggy first.

When it comes to cage cleaning, each time you clean, you are removing scent from their territory. That will cause a bit of upset. With boars it’s best to only clean half the cage at a time, then do the other half a day or two later. That way, the cage will always smell like them and they find it easier to manage.
Also, with boars, the more you clean the more they will scent mark and the more it will smell. It’s obviously important you remove wet hay and bedding, but don’t fully clean too much and too frequently.

I actually never remove my boys from the cage when cleaning and instead get them used to it by cleaning around them
This is so helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will take all this info on I really appreciate it

Hi

Please respect the hierarchy, especially with teenage boars - the leader always comes first, whether that is with his choice of housing, feeding, handling, grooming etc. Whenever he returns to the cage then he will need to make his presence felt but the dominance is more pronounced if the under-boar is getting preferential treatment.

Rumble-strutting and mounting re both mild daily boar behaviours.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

We have got a very helpful information resource for new owners to help them learn what is normal or not and how to deal with the most commonly encountered unanticipated issues. Over 15 years of literally tens of thousands of newbie questions on this forum and up to half a century of owner experience have gone into our very how-to practical and informative guides.
Here is the access link, which you may want to bookmark, browse, read and re-read at need since you will take different things away at different stages of experience: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners
Thank you! Really appreciate this

Back