Male Making Love?

Mihnea15

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So about like 5 days ago i got a guinea pig (male forsure) and the guy who was working at the petshop told me that the other pigs are his brothers. So he also checked them and told me 1 was a girl and the other one was a boy. And today i decided to go back and buy the male so the first pig can have someone to play with. I put them in the same cage because they are young and most likely wont fight, and they didn't. But the first pig started purring alot and was following the new one everywhere and try to hop on him and... try to make love or something. Now i'm not entirely sure if the new one is actually a male or a girl, i can tell because they are too young. What should i do? I don't want them to have babies because that's to much for me

Get a vet check if you want to be sure unless you are confident about sexing piggies.
However a guinea pig will try to mate with another guinea pig regardless of sex or relationship .
It’s natural for the. I have sow who , when in season, can be a real pest to her sister.

Welcome to the forum, best to get them sexed properly for sure. 'Humping' is a sign of dominance behaviour and piggies display this from time to time especially when they are sorting out their hierarchy.

Please take time to read this guides here that explain

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Could you add your location to your profile as it helps us tailor any advice if ever needed to your geographical location

Welcome again
Lee

Get a vet check if you want to be sure unless you are confident about sexing piggies.
However a guinea pig will try to mate with another guinea pig regardless of sex or relationship .
It’s natural for the. I have sow who , when in season, can be a real pest to her sister.
ok, i will, thank you very much sir!

Welcome to the forum, best to get them sexed properly for sure. 'Humping' is a sign of dominance behaviour and piggies display this from time to time especially when they are sorting out their hierarchy.

Please take time to read this guides here that explain

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Could you add your location to your profile as it helps us tailor any advice if ever needed to your geographical location

Welcome again
Lee
I will read it very carefuly, thanks for advice! :)

So about like 5 days ago i got a guinea pig (male forsure) and the guy who was working at the petshop told me that the other pigs are his brothers. So he also checked them and told me 1 was a girl and the other one was a boy. And today i decided to go back and buy the male so the first pig can have someone to play with. I put them in the same cage because they are young and most likely wont fight, and they didn't. But the first pig started purring alot and was following the new one everywhere and try to hop on him and... try to make love or something. Now i'm not entirely sure if the new one is actually a male or a girl, i can tell because they are too young. What should i do? I don't want them to have babies because that's to much for me

Hi and welcome

Rumblestrutting and mounting is behaviour that is exhibited by both genders. It is very common mild dominance behaviour and not necessarily connected to mating.
We do however most strongly recommend to double check the gender of all new guinea pigs since mis-sexing is unfortunately not at all uncommon.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-separating-baby-boars-and-rehoming-babies.109391/

You may also find our new owners guide collection helpful to understand your piggies, make friends with them in way that THEY automatically understand and to learn what is normal and what not: New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection

Back