Male Guinea Pigs Not Getting Along

• Thread starter Thread starter Dan1elle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan1elle

Hi
I'm new to this site, joined this morning.
Hoping someone can help me out a bit, got 2 guinea pigs about 6 weeks ago (First time Guinea Pig owner) at first they were ok but the last few weeks they have been fighting, not sure what to do, they are about 3months old,
Thanks

it sounds like your babies have reached adolescence! this is a normal phase for them to go through as they establish who is going to be 'top pig' and hopefully everything will settle down after a few weeks and they will live happily together for many many years. don't be too hasty to separate them, try to let them sort out their differences, maybe they need more room now that they are getting bigger? try making sure you have 2 of everything to cause less fights (bowls, bottles, etc).

also, please look at Barmy4Boars site she has some great info on bonding: www.barmy4boars.co.uk

Hi there and welcome to the forum :)
Same thing happened with us, we tried everything eventually we put them in a divided cage but they could see and talk to each other all the time :smitten:
Love to see some pics of the little fellows :)

That website was very helpful thanks, might give it a couple of weeks and see how they go, sometimes they are fine and both run around popcorning and have nutty half hours then they change and hate each other.

Will try putting two water bottles and feed bottles aswel to see if that helps, would hate to have to split them up

Thanks for your help

they need plenty of space if possible as well, and plenty of hidey holes if one feels threatened, give them time my little adolescents are all in with older boys and are trying their luck but are being given the look as if to say yeah try it little un, I find the older boys often calm the younger ones wonderfully by their calm attitude, scooby just looks at murphy for him to chill, its a certain look I think I have developed it with my 5 kids over the years lol

michellemuffin said:
my little adolescents are all in with older boys and are trying their luck but are being given the look as if to say yeah try it little un, I find the older boys often calm the younger ones wonderfully by their calm attitude, scooby just looks at murphy for him to chill, its a certain look I think I have developed it with my 5 kids over the years lol

hehehe! I think that is why Sammy and Roo have formed such a good friendship.
When we first put them in together, Roo would go through all the dominance stuff and Sam was like 'Whatever!' and just went on eating. Roo soon decided dominance was no fun if there was no response - LOL!

sammyroo said:
michellemuffin said:
my little adolescents are all in with older boys and are trying their luck but are being given the look as if to say yeah try it little un, I find the older boys often calm the younger ones wonderfully by their calm attitude, scooby just looks at murphy for him to chill, its a certain look I think I have developed it with my 5 kids over the years lol

hehehe! I think that is why Sammy and Roo have formed such a good friendship.
When we first put them in together, Roo would go through all the dominance stuff and Sam was like 'Whatever!' and just went on eating. Roo soon decided dominance was no fun if there was no response - LOL!

lmao i'd have loved to have seen that ;D ;D

My two boars, Hugo and Hurley, went through the same. I made sure they had two of everything and they came out the otherside again and are never apart and happily share one bowl, one water bottle etc again. Obviously if yours start proper fighting you've got to split them up but don't rush to do that if it's just bickering and chattering at each other.

3 months is a tricky age and a lot of Piggy's do squabble a bit at this stage. As long as it isn't full on fighting, no blood is drawn and both are eating I would advise persevering in the hope they will settle down and sort out who is boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back