Male guinea pig showing dominance a lot

Golins_guinea_pigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I had my guinea pigs for more than a month
now. They have been showing dominance everyday. I’ve been doing research and it says they should be doing this for 2 to 3 days. They are males, live together before I bought them. can anyone please tell me if this is normal or is there something I can do?

Your piggies are teenagers so higher levels of dominance are normal while their hormones are raging. That will last until they are around 14 months old.
However, what you’ve seen about only doing it for 2-3 days is wrong. Dominance is something they do throughout entire whole lives as a way to reinforce their relationship.

Boars need a lot of room - a 180x60cm cage, multiple resources and hides which have two doors in them.

As long as they are not actually fighting, then you need to leave them to get on with it.
If they have an actual fight or if the dominance tips over into actual bullying (where one piggy becomes depressed and potentially loses weight due to it), then their bond is broken and they will need to be permanently separated.

The guides below explain more

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

I have two boars, one is just an adult and the other 3 months younger. I still see dominance behaviour on a daily basis from Dignified Sir George, however as they mature the relationship has mellowed and most of the rumblestrutting ends in popcorn sessions.

I have two boars, one is just an adult and the other 3 months younger. I still see dominance behaviour on a daily basis from Dignified Sir George, however as they mature the relationship has mellowed and most of the rumblestrutting ends in popcorn sessions.
Thanks

Your piggies are teenagers so higher levels of dominance are normal while their hormones are raging. That will last until they are around 14 months old.
However, what you’ve seen about only doing it for 2-3 days is wrong. Dominance is something they do throughout entire whole lives as a way to reinforce their relationship.

Boars need a lot of room - a 180x60cm cage, multiple resources and hides which have two doors in them.

As long as they are not actually fighting, then you need to leave them to get on with it.
If they have an actual fight or if the dominance tips over into actual bullying (where one piggy becomes depressed and potentially loses weight due to it), then their bond is broken and they will need to be permanently separated.

The guides below explain more

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Thank you so much

He's a handsome chap. Is that a salt lick I can see? If it is you need to remove it as, despite being sold for guinea pigs, they are very bad for their health. Also I assume the puppy pads are not a permanent top layer for them as they can (and will) be nibbled at which will cause health issues. Sorry to be critical but there are so many ways we can harm our little furries. This is compounded by misinformation and companies marketing things as suitable when they are not.

I nearly forgot, instead of doing a full cage clean, do half at a time. This keeps them from having to mark all of their territory every time. I have a two level palace for my boys. I do spot clean and check/change bath mats every day, today I changed out all the fleeces in the penthouse and will change the basement ones in 3 or 4 days. It is really helpful in keeping them a bit more chilled.

He's a handsome chap. Is that a salt lick I can see? If it is you need to remove it as, despite being sold for guinea pigs, they are very bad for their health. Also I assume the puppy pads are not a permanent top layer for them as they can (and will) be nibbled at which will cause health issues. Sorry to be critical but there are so many ways we can harm our little furries. This is compounded by misinformation and companies marketing things as suitable when they are not.
Oh ok will do thanks

Back