• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Male guinea pig downstairs bits question

• Thread starter Thread starter maxthepig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxthepig

This is from another forum (not me). Please could anyone help? thank you

One of my Boars, Nelson is very.......errrrmmmm....well endowed
He does tend to like to 'let it all hang out' and consequently hay gets trapped under his foreskin Then when he puts his willy away the hay goes too... Consequently Nelson sometimes gets a sore willy I clean it well, including under the foreskin but its an ongoing problem.
In the abscence of circumcision for Piggies do you think having him neutered would stop him from dangling his willy all the time?

Oh my! piggy circumcision :o
Not sure about this one Mandy - I'm just glad its not your post!
Erm use vet bed or a hay rack or hay ball so he's not walking around in hay..... or just check him out everyday.

Very polite subject heading! I was expecting to read about guineas in the kitchen or something!

This sounds very uncomfortable. I would suggest they phone the vet or the CCT and ask if there is anything (like a cream) that can be applied daily. I was thinking of vaseline, that's really soothing for us, like on chapped lips, but I've NO idea if this can be used on guineas - one of the more experienced people on here may know, especially those with guinea medical knowledge.

Jillybean said:
Very polite subject heading! I was expecting to read about guineas in the kitchen or something!

i wasn't quite sure how to word it ;D

Thanks very much both of you xx. Any other suggestions, or thoughts on the neutering also gratefully recieved.

oh yeah I have noticed that they tend to 'hang out' more after neutering - thats only going on having 2 boys pre & post neuter. Spud was already done. Although I was probably taking more notice of that area because of the op.

Mandy could this piggy have a cauliflower willy?
My Wilbur has one & it's huge & frilly (looks more like a daffodil trumpet  ::))  & gets all sorts stuck in it (what a subject)
Sometimes it appears to be bigger than others. I'm asking this because i've never seen my "normal" boys with theirs "hanging out" 
Not that i know if they do this or not, they may do :)

If it is cauliflower willy, neutering won't make a difference as it's an abnormality.  I check Wilburs every day for "debris" - oh the joys of boars :D

Don't suppose you can send this photo on? It's of Tonnis manhood when he had a problem!

tonicwilly1.jpg

Paraphimosis - Piglopedia Page 109 -
The boar is unanble to retract his penis into the prepuce. The tip of the penis is hanging outside the prepuce. It is often due to foreign bodies, such as seeds or shavings, being trapped in the prepuce folds. These should be gently removed and the prepuce rinsed in sterile saline. If infection occurs, the boar may become infertile, Paraphimosis is commnly seen in castrated boars, but it does not seem to bother them.

Have a look at this link too - http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/penprot.htm

oh god... what a weird thing to talk about ;D
Wilsons never dangles out thank goodness... in fact I cant even get it to come out! lol
Hope the piggy is okay :)

Never had a problem with georgy, :o except he humps everything, rovy sod. ;D
Erm...Smidge however got a whole clump of poo, hay and sawdust ball all around his manly snake, and footballs. this was long after his neturing too. and my dad squeezed his sides slightly to see if any junk had come out, and we just got his snake, so i cleaned up all the stuff around him and put him down. Then he went to hump biscuit and got bitten by her. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back