• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Male guinea pig cleaning help

Lloyd

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey, I have 2 boars both under a year, one has been having trouble with his ball pouch(?) And I'm having to clean it every like 2 days, it's getting very smelly and full of what I belive is smegma, and hair, this has been causing him issues pooing. I've checked the care channel on the forum and have added more fibre to his diet but I was wondering if anyone has any of their own tips to help since he is only under a year old. Will add his poos are perfectly fine too and he does has massive balls.

Hey, I have 2 boars both under a year, one has been having trouble with his ball pouch(?) And I'm having to clean it every like 2 days, it's getting very smelly and full of what I belive is smegma, and hair, this has been causing him issues pooing. I've checked the care channel on the forum and have added more fibre to his diet but I was wondering if anyone has any of their own tips to help since he is only under a year old. Will add his poos are perfectly fine too and he does has massive balls.
Can you post a photo of his bag? Does it feel hot when you touch it with your hands? Is it swollen or red?

They will pick up hair etc in their anal sac when scent marking. Gentle clearing will need to be done.
Have you seen a vet about it? If not it would be a good idea to do so. They can get infections if there is any issue with that area

Are you ensuring hay is available in large amounts loose in their cage? Fibre is very important for a normal working digestive system.

Can you post a photo of his bag? Does it feel hot when you touch it with your hands? Is it swollen or red?
His bag doesn't seem overly warm and he doesn't squeak when I touch his balls so I don't think they're swollen. I tried getting a picture of it but turns out it's a 2 person job. I did get a picture of what I'm removing pretty much everyday. A lot of hair (makes sense his brother is a long haired piggy) but a lot of the stinky white stuff too which I think is causing the discomfort when he poos.
When I'm cleaning him I use warm water and a tiny but of coconut oil.

Attachments

• 20240918_182540.webp
    20240918_182540.webp
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
They will pick up hair etc in their anal sac when scent marking. Gentle clearing will need to be done.
Have you seen a vet about it? If not it would be a good idea to do so. They can get infections if there is any issue with that area

Are you ensuring hay is available in large amounts loose in their cage? Fibre is very important for a normal working digestive system.
They have a tray full of hay to go to and I'm going to see what other high fibre things I can give him but his poos are solid and healthy. We can't take him to the vet currently as I'm getting my rabbit spayed so money needs to go to that but I'm hoping cleaning will continue to prevent anything.

They have a tray full of hay to go to and I'm going to see what other high fibre things I can give him but his poos are solid and healthy. We can't take him to the vet currently as I'm getting my rabbit spayed so money needs to go to that but I'm hoping cleaning will continue to prevent anything.

Hay and grass fibre is the only thing they need.

That's fairly normal for boars, especially if they scent mark alot. Once a week cleaning is enough at this age unless there is a large build up of poo in the pouch. If his poops are coming out neat and well formed and without effort, his diet is fine and he just needs his normal hay, grass, veggies he usually gets. The smell is strong 🙂 but it's usually under wraps unless he's scent marking.

Back