Male guinea pig change in behaviour

janinep12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a neutered male guinea pig and an un-neutered female that are a bonded pair for the past 2 weeks. The male was always the more friendly and loved cuddles and would happily lay on your chest or snuggle in a blanket. However the last couple of days he's been more reserved, not so keen on cuddles, whereas the female has loved cuddles the last couple of days since we realised she prefers to sit on our laps rather than on our chest. The male is eating and drinking fine, clucking a lot but just doesn't seem as keen on cuddles and is very wriggly when held, whereas he used to stay still. Any ideas?

When you say for the past two weeks do you mean you’ve only had them both two weeks or that they have been bonded for just two weeks?

It doesn’t necessarily mean there is anything wrong - it may simply be, if he is new to you, that he has settled in and got comfortable.
What I mean by that is a new piggy who sits still can sometimes be doing it through fear. As they settle in they can become more wiggly simply because they don’t want to be held and are no longer afraid to tell you that. Most piggies don’t like being held, some learn to like it, others never do - it’s rather about following their lead.
Not one of mine are cuddlers, all preferring me to sit in their shed with them and they will come to me if they want to.

If you are ever concerned about a change in behaviour and whether it is illness related (which this probably isn’t) then the best thing is to first switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh them daily to more closely monitor hay intake to enable you to step in if needed

When you say for the past two weeks do you mean you’ve only had them both two weeks or that they have been bonded for just two weeks?

It doesn’t necessarily mean there is anything wrong - it may simply be, if he is new to you, that he has settled in and got comfortable.
What I mean by that is a new piggy who sits still can sometimes be doing it through fear. As they settle in they can become more wiggly simply because they don’t want to be held and are no longer afraid to tell you that. Most piggies don’t like being held, some learn to like it, others never do - it’s rather about following their lead.
Not one of mine are cuddlers, all preferring me to sit in their shed with them and they will come to me if they want to.

If you are ever concerned about a change in behaviour and whether it is illness related (which this probably isn’t) then the best thing is to first switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh them daily to more closely monitor hay intake to enable you to step in if needed
They have been bonded since June I believe. We have had them 2 weeks. They chat to each other a lot and cluck when walking around the cage.

Sometimes new pigs in a new environment will seem very settled and sedate when actually they are just 'frozen' as a defence mechanism because they are nervous and being cautious. Once they get more confident, they may be LESS willing to sit quietly because they are more willing to let you know what they actually want.

I've had pigs who are cuddlers, pigs who don't like cuddling, and pigs who like cuddling with some people and not others (one of my current pigs, Misa, is okay to sit with everyone for short times, but will then putter around the couch until she finds my husband, who is the only lap she will sit on for longer than five minutes! LOL!)

Back