Male grease gland

marshmallow2022

New Born Pup
Reaction score
A friend of mine was given two male guinea pigs who we are estimating to be around 1 or 2 years old, both were not well taken care of, overgrown nails, not bathed and caked up grease. I have a male guinea pig whom I will be introducing to honey and coco, (the two males) but I am trying to clean them first. Any tips for safely cleaning their grease glands when it is built up and caught in the fur? And any tips for keeping up with it in the future?

Do be aware that the chances of a successful boar trio aren’t great. Usually it ends in fights and broken bonds.

If you do intend to go ahead with attempting a boar trio then ensure the cage covers at least 300x100cm (approx a 9x3 c&c cage) (a boar trio require a huge amount more space than normal cage sizing requirement) that there is at least three of every item and that all hides have two exits. Having a cage of that size won’t make them be able to get on (boars find it very hard to form a functioning hierarchy when there is more than two) but lack of space will cause fights.
The most likely outcome is that honey and coco won’t accept your piggy, but there is also the risk that trying to introduce your piggy can cause honey and coco to also fall out and need to be kept separate from each other going forward.

It would be a good idea for your friend to have these piggies checked by a vet.
If they have not been well cared for, there could be all kinds of other issues and putting products in them/bathing them could mask signs a vet may need to diagnose and treat any issues.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

Do be aware that the chances of a successful boar trio aren’t great. Usually it ends in fights and broken bonds.

If you do intend to go ahead with attempting a boar trio then ensure the cage covers at least 300x100cm (approx a 9x3 c&c cage) (a boar trio require a huge amount more space than normal cage sizing requirement) that there is at least three of every item and that all hides have two exits. Having a cage of that size won’t make them be able to get on (boars find it very hard to form a functioning hierarchy when there is more than two) but lack of space will cause fights.
The most likely outcome is that honey and coco won’t accept your piggy, but there is also the risk that trying to introduce your piggy can cause honey and coco to also fall out and need to be kept separate from each other going forward.

It would be a good idea for your friend to have these piggies checked by a vet.
If they have not been well cared for, there could be all kinds of other issues and putting products in them/bathing them could mask signs a vet may need to diagnose and treat any issues.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)
Thank you for the information, honey and coco will be neighbors to marshmallow and I have already learned that marshmallow is better as a solo piggy. I have tried introducing him to over 8 piggies and he has not like any of them. So I will be putting a secondary cage in the room for coco and honey so that marshmallow at least has neighbors and can communicate with them.

Thank you for the information, honey and coco will be neighbors to marshmallow and I have already learned that marshmallow is better as a solo piggy. I have tried introducing him to over 8 piggies and he has not like any of them. So I will be putting a secondary cage in the room for coco and honey so that marshmallow at least has neighbors and can communicate with them.

Expect territorial behaviours between the bars but living alongside is the next best thing to a live in friend.

Back