Making the cage dog-proof?

JaseChase

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My partner is coming over this evening and bringing their dog for the first time, which means I need to dog-proof my guinea pigs' cage. My boys have never met a dog before and this doggie has never been around guinea pigs either, so I'm keen to make sure no accidents will happen!

I live in a one-room flat so unfortunately I can't move the cage into a separate room from doggie. My piggies are in a 5x2 C&C on a stand raised above the ground, so my plan is to make a temporary lid out of my extra grids and then peg a blanket over the top so my boys have somewhere safe to hide. The dog is very small (toy poodle/terrier cross) and shouldn't be able to jump up to the cage, and my partner thinks he'll settle down pretty quickly once he's got over the initial curiosity of what's in the cage.

Is there anything else I should do to make sure my boys are safe and comfortable? They'll have all their normal hideys and everything inside their cage and of course they won't be coming out for floor time while doggie is here!

Pig tax:

IMG_4303.webp

Thank you! I took your advice and made sure the lid was secure, kept the blankets pinned right down too and it went well. Doggie had a bit of a sniff at the cage and then wandered off, and my boys are 100% fine and were wandering around the cage (under the blankets) even with doggie there, so I think it went okay

They've had some pea flakes now for being brave and seem totally fine :)

Back