Making own fleece bedding

Vicky2021

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to make my own guinea pig fleece bedding as it really racks up in terms of price.
It’s not me personally but my friends mum is a pro with the sewing machine!

I have fleece but can anyone suggest what they use for the middle layer and waterproof bottom? Don’t even know where to start. My current bedding is fleece, absorbing layer then waterproof bottom but I bought it full price so don’t know what material it is? The bedding dries super quick once it comes out the machine! Want the same homemade

The fleece I made had a waterproof mattress protectors sandwiched between two pieces of fleece. Some (I think) use washing. Zorb is another good one to use.

I generally use wadding in between two layers of fleece. I have also used washable incontinence pads that are waterproof to make pads.
I think a lot of the liners you can buy that have the waterproof backing tend to be made from zorb which is very absorbent and drys fast too. I’ve never used it because I found it pricy and was happy with just wadding due to the size of my cage.

I made our liners with Zorb in the middle, it is pricey. I just keep an eye out for when an offer is on.( never huge discounts).
I haven’t bothered with a waterproof layer as such, and just use puppy pads underneath incase anything leaks through, which is rare.

I made some with top and bottom fleece layers and zorb in the middle. Seems to have worked really well - no smells and dries easily. Wasn't cheap though. Have only had them a few months so can't comment on longevity.

I use anti pil Polar fleece top and bottom. then a further layer of thick white polyester fleece and 6oz polyester wadding. I’m not a fan of a waterproof bottom as it holds in the moisture and can smell after while. I find all my liners are thick, fast drying and very absorbent. If you buy always ask what’s inside as some only have thin polyester wadding which isn’t great
F40D4450-F209-4128-B545-B5723175D07F.webp

Thanks all so much for your responses, you have been soo helpful 😊

I would strongly recommend to avoid polyester in the middle - it isn't very absorbent (more like fleece and designed to repel moisture).
I am also not a fan of a waterproof layer (it gets smelly quickly) unless your cage is on carpet or another surface that needs protecting.
If it is on a hard surface or corex, then an absorbent layer between fleece works great.

I like zorb, but as others have said it can be pricey unless you live in the USA (or have a friend who will bring it back from the USA for you!).

In the UK good alternatives are regular cotton beach/bath towels - they can be washed at high temps and are cheap and readily available, but can be heavy when wet, take longer to dry, and can get smelly over time.

The best option is a 100% cotton mattress protector. These are available every where (supermarkets, dunelm mill, etc) and look a bit like felt? Sorry - hard to describe, but you want cotton and not polyester for absorbency.
They can also be washed at high temps and are available in lots of sizes, so this would be my absorbent layer of choice for large liners.

Hi, I've been using some kind of mattress protector fabric that is used in nursing homes. The lady at the fabric store supplies the local old people's homes with it. She's the one who suggested it when I went looking for Zorb. It is 1/10 of the price and the same absorbing power, if it can take grandpa's accidents, it can take a few piggies. For the liners I do prefer to add a layer of Zorb if I have it on hand, then fleece on top, but for potty pads I just sew fleece on top. Works like a charm. Can be washed at high temperature and dries really fast. Just watch out for shrinkage.
It has a waterproof layer on the back (light blue), a Zorb-like material in the middle (yellow), and some kind of thin cotton/bath towel material on top. It could be used by itself but I'm afraid of nails/tiny fingers getting caught in the quilting or in the top material, plus hay sticks to it like crazy, so i suggest sewing fleece on top anyway. Here's a couple pictures:

Attachments

• 20220304_133022.webp
    20220304_133022.webp
    73.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220304_133044.webp
    20220304_133044.webp
    67.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi, I've been using some kind of mattress protector fabric that is used in nursing homes. The lady at the fabric store supplies the local old people's homes with it. She's the one who suggested it when I went looking for Zorb. It is 1/10 of the price and the same absorbing power, if it can take grandpa's accidents, it can take a few piggies. For the liners I do prefer to add a layer of Zorb if I have it on hand, then fleece on top, but for potty pads I just sew fleece on top. Works like a charm. Can be washed at high temperature and dries really fast. Just watch out for shrinkage.
It has a waterproof layer on the back (light blue), a Zorb-like material in the middle (yellow), and some kind of thin cotton/bath towel material on top. It could be used by itself but I'm afraid of nails/tiny fingers getting caught in the quilting or in the top material, plus hay sticks to it like crazy, so i suggest sewing fleece on top anyway. Here's a couple pictures:
That looks great, and you make a really good point.
It is always worth asking in your local fabric store - if you explain you want an absorbent layer then they can often recommend something which will be cheaper to buy by the meter.

That looks great, and you make a really good point.
It is always worth asking in your local fabric store - if you explain you want an absorbent layer then they can often recommend something which will be cheaper to buy by the meter.
Oh and also, at least here in Finland it's very popular to use/diy reusable period pads or children's nappies, so stores that sell those kinds of supplies are worth checking out, they might have a local option for the absorbent layer.

Great! Thanks everyone for your help. These are all super helpful responses. And I will go to my local fabric store too (never even thought of that), there’s one nearby

Back