Making DIY Liners & Pee pads, tips?

Babble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've been wanting to make my own liners and pee pads for my piggies, but the one problem I'm facing is where i should get the materials from? and what would be the best options for the absorbent layer? I'm also wondering if i should make pee pads out of a better absorbent layer compared to the liners?
Please offer me some options, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

There are lots of online retailers that sell anti-pil fleece which I found easiest to sew as it doesn’t fray (or bobble after washing). I used Empress Mills but plenty of others sell fleece if you Google - depends on what design you want! I found Zorb to be the best absorbent layer (fleece, Zorb, fleece) as it’s very absorbent and light but it is definitely more pricey. I’ve also used cut up mattress protectors as the absorbent layer - I used the Teflon coated water resistant ones from Dunelm or similar not the fully waterproof backed ones as they don’t wick. I used the same method for fleece and pee pads but did have a few pee pads with a double absorbent layer just because I had some left over. Not convinced it made them doubly absorbent. I preferred to wash pee pads more often. Also don’t make the fleece too big - nightmare to wash! I mostly had 3x2 and 2x2. I did make a 4x2 - washing machine groaned every time I washed it 😂

I use anti pill fleece which I mostly get on ebay, off cuts are cheapest way to buy. The middle layer is quilted mattress protector (not water proof ones). I have recently used one from the Range middle priced one which is a much better quality than the cheaper ones I used to use and is not flattening when washed. I use a double layer in the middle of pee pads as I have 2 elderly boars who wee a lot! I make a combination on 1x2 2x2 and 3 x2 liners 1x1 pee pads, as I have 6 cages of various sizes combinations of liner sizes is easiest when cleaning cages. My machine struggles with anything bigger than 4x2, I did make 2 of these but tend to avoid using them unless I have to!

Back