Making cage from scratch?!?

• Thread starter Thread starter smiler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smiler

Just been looking at different cage ideas etc, thought about c&c but for some reason i cant seem to find it anywhere. My OH has suggested that we just make a massive hutch from scratch...big hutches stacked ontopof eachother...

andy used to work on a pig farm (very glamorous) and hes confident we cant make it safe...I'm just wondering if its worthwhile...does anyone know where we could get mesh wiring and wood from :-\ I'm trying to think of the cheapest way to make it safe and clean :-\

I'm thinking maybe this isnt a good idea?

It just means that the indoor metal p@h cages can stay for the rescue piggies. i prefer to have them all inside with me so if i build this i can keep my piggies inside with the rescue piggies and have the boars in the outside setup (if that makes sense)?

Ideally the biggest cage would have to home 7 of my girls so it would have to be something mighty, or i could make one thats stacked and have 3 and 2 to save space :-\ :-\

Any ideas would be great! Thanks! ;D

Why not just but a shed and put heating into it. Then on ebay I have seen triple hutches that could go inside the shed :) They are £80 then £25 deliverly well made as well ;)

I looked at building our own wooden run and unless you have something specific you want and already have the materials there isn't really much of a price comparison.

In 2 months I must have spent just shy of £200 trying to make the perfect cage. I had a stupidly small cage from p@h I wasn't happy with so I bought a c&c (cost me about £50 cost I bought twice as much as I needed!) but then had problems finding correx so we built a c&c using a kitchen bench as the base and secured it.

Then I decide to get him a friend which meant that the one we had was too small so this weekend I finally got the cage I wanted but had to spend more money to have it raised from the ground as we have a very nosey dog!

I guess my point is have a really good look around first at all the cages on offer as spending a little extra on one already made might be your best bet without the hassle!

I have an outdoor heated shed that i can keep them in...but i like to have them inside...we have a spare room we have indoor cages in and then the 3 cages downstairs in the living room for the preggers girls and harry. I would like to keep them all inside and need something that will take all 7 girls hopefully...are their any hutches out there that will take 7 sows? maybe stacked up...or spread out....I'm not sure how much space 7 girlies would need so its hard to even imagine how i can do it :-\ :-\ ;D

I really think the shed is a better option than the house. Yours is already heated for the winter and fans going for the summer months :) I think you should ask over in the rescue section what other recues do.
I know you want them in the house in the spare room you could just go to the happy hutch company who will make them for you whatever you want they can build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back