Making A Ramp- Is Pine Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger101

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome onto the forum, you've been great.
I've been a guinea pig owner for the last 9 months, and still treading carefully when it comes to what goes into the piggies' cages.

I have just bought a Ferplast 100 double, which comes with a wooden ramp. However, having read various posts, I am concerned about the fact it doesn't really have sides.

So, I measured up, did a sketch for the ramp and bought some wood from B and Q to make another from scratch. It fits well, and I've bought a bit of carpet tile to cut up and glue down for pig traction.

One thing I'm nervous and unsure about, is the fact I've chosen pine as the ramp material- how safe is this? I know that pine shavings are bad, however what about them nibbling larger bits of pine? Is my new ramp for the bin already?

Any help and advice gratefully received!

Any chance of extending the cage or attaching a run?It is below recommended size (only the bottom floor counts I'm afraid)Do you have boars it sows?Recomended for sows is 120 and for two boars 140.

Hi ag
Any chance of extending the cage or attaching a run?It is below recommended size (only the bottom floor counts I'm afraid)Do you have boars it sows?Recomended for sows is 120 and for two boars 140.[/QUOTE

Afternoon!
They're young sows circa 20weeks old, but they are avid climbers already in their nursery cage, especially little Millie. They become free range for 1.5 hours a day though which keeps me fit as well!

Hi again, sorry phone malfunction before!
The girls are very very active, and are already climbing in their nursery cage! They're stunning, and play together so well. They also go free range for 1.5 hours each day as well for increased sensory play.
Why does the bottom only count just out of interest?

It's because it's the amount of floor space that counts - to give guineas the appropriate amount of room to do zoomies.

They do zoom a lot. Thanks very much. I must admit I didn't realise it goes on ground floor only, as I judged the cage on total square footage for suitability.
With regards to the ramp, I've now added industrial carpet and willow on the pine sides... Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back