Making 2 sow pairs neighbors through the grids

Scooter Pie

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm posting for some reassurance that noone's going to get hurt. My two girl pairs live in the same room, and Id like to give them a spot where their cages can connect and they can interact through the grids. I have this image of someone's nose getting chomped. That's not really a common occurance, is it?

Quick history. I tried to add a third pig to my bonded pair this summer, and the bonding didn't go well. So I brought home a fourth pig and those two have been friends with no issues.

Since then, they have always been separate.

I'm building a 1x2 bridge that can connect their two enclosures, with a divider in between so they can get closer...what do you guys think? Is there any danger?

I'm trying this because one of the other pigs always seems so interested in what's going on over in that other mysterious place :)

There is no harm in trying and allowing them a shared grid or two.
A good way to start would be to set up the cages with the shared grid, and initially cover it with cardboard so they can spend a few days getting used to the new smells and noises from the neighbours.
Then remove the cardboard and see how it goes.

I have a bonded sow pair and a single neutered boar and they are neighbours with interaction through grids. They seem to live quite happily like that, whilst it wasn't what we hoped for it seems to work.

Great idea, I didn't think of that. That way I can ease myself into the idea too! They are already only about two feet apart anyway, and join together with wheeking for food!

💕I was reading some of your threads about Spaghetti, Noodles and Pig 🐷
Yes I seem to have posted a lot recently!
We regularly see Pig and Noodle talking and nosing through the grids and they are both fine, whilst the ideal would have been them to live together this works. Not the best photo but this was caught on our guinea cam.

IMG_1381.webp

Back