Make vs female

amhaigler

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm not a new owner - I had a precious female baby for 4 years and I had to let her go recently due to a sudden back injury. It's difficult to find a young female where I live. Do males smell bad? Can they be neutered safely?

Boar pairs are wonderful! Boars tend to mellow with age and become more affectionate and friendly as they age.

Boars do need more space though as they are more territorial. Two boars need a cage measuring 180x60cm.
They do scent mark more and they can smell a bit more but it’s not a case that they smell bad.

It can be advisable to only change half the bedding at a time as that can help reduce dominance and territorial behaviours as they will still recognise the cage as being their space. It can also help reduce the scent marking (they scent mark to mark territory so the more thoroughly you fully clean the more they will mark and the more it will smell)

Yes they can be neutered safely provided the vet is experienced, but a young piggy can’t be neutered until they are 4 months old (and then there is the six week post op wait to become infertile). Therefore if you were to want a male and female pair it would mean a young male could end up be alone for a long time before he could have a sow companion which is far from ideal.

As you are having trouble finding a young sow, then two boars living together do not need to be neutered. Neutering only prevents pregnancy, it does not change their behaviour at all.
However if both of them were to be neutered, if when one of them passed away, it would mean that they would be ready to be bonded with a new sow companion.

Boar pairs can only ever be a pair though - you cannot add to them. No other piggies can be added into the cage with a boar pair ad it will cause them to fight.

If you were still planning on taking a boar pair to school, then it is even more important that you reconsider that and don’t do it with a boar pair. Boar pairs are very territorial and any change in territory or anything that unsettled them can cause issues. They need to know their environment is theirs and is stable so ensuring it smells like them all the time Is a good idea.

A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Last edited:
Please do consider getting a pair rather than a single, as has been spoken about on a previous thread. You will enjoy a pair even more with their interactions and mini personalities.

Have you been in contact with rescues at all? I know they’re few and far between in US but it’s really the best way to go. Their piggies would already be bonded and health checked.

Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

I am a foster piggy parent for a boar pair. They are the loveliest two piggies! I also have a boar/sow pair right now as my personal piggies; they are both neutered/spayed so no babies. We adopted them from a local rescue and we decided to foster with the rescue too. The foster boys do not stink; they only "smell" if I don't daily sweep up their poos and replace their hay with new fresh hay, but it is the same thing if I don't clean my pigs at all.

I don't know what the situation is in the States but over here its standard practice for many rescues to neuter males before they go out for adoption. It might be worth a few calls to enquire about that. I had my first male neutered when his male companion died so he could be paired with a little sow but my males since then have all been lone boys from rescue who came ready neutered. We've had mixed male/female(s) and all female combinations - some have worked out better than others! But part of the reason I like rescue piggies is that they are generally already adult and they are in a bonded pair so it's easier settling them in. They've all had different personalities though! 😂

If you aren't sure what to do it might be a good idea to contact a local rescue and ask about what piggies they have available.
If it's possible to go along and meet some, even better.

When adopting pets in the past I have found that sometimes when I have a clear picture in my mind about things like colour, sex, age, etc. this all gets pushed aside when I feel a connection with a particular animal. You may find that by keeping an open mind you are drawn to a specific pair of piggies, and then those will be the ones to go for.

Personally I love boars - I don't find them any smellier than girls, and they have a lot of personality so I would keep an open mind.

I’ve only ever had boy piggies. They are fab and don’t smell.

Back