Maintaining Grass Without Risking Piggies Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adelle

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i created "fudges garden" a couple of weeks ago,basically cleared a rectangle of stones away from my garden, layed some soil and a fresh piece of turf cut to size, surrounded by a pen. Once established, it grew pretty quickly, and fudge is keeping it all very short single handedly!

My problem is this- its starting to go patchy and turn brown in areas. I water it every night, and its by no means waterlogged.

Is there anyway i can feed it without having to leave the pigs off it for weeks? Is there any natural ways? Theres no weeds so dont need a pesticide (which i wouldnt use anyway), i literally just need to feed the grass. I do leave the piggies poos on there and they soon go to mush and back into the soil which i guess would help but i need something more!

Tia

:D If you have a compost heap, you could spread a bit of that on your grass. Do you know anyone nearby who keeps horses? A bit of manure might help. I don't know much about how to help grass grow, but I do know that lack of light can kill it.

:D If you have a compost heap, you could spread a bit of that on your grass. Do you know anyone nearby who keeps horses? A bit of manure might help. I don't know much about how to help grass grow, but I do know that lack of light can kill it.

How long would it take for that to sink into the soil though away from piggy reach? :vom: I shade most of it during the day with a big umbrella to keep the pigs out of the sun, but by the time my 2 pairs have had a go each and i put them back indoors, the sun has moved to the otherside of the house so it doesnt get anymore light that day. However they dont get on it everyday, only 6 days since i put it down a couple of weeks ago as it hasnt always been the weather for it.

Do you leave hideys on it overnight?

I dont, i use their plastic hideys from indoors so they go back indoors with the pigs when they are done. I remove the big umbrella from it tol afterwards.

Are the brown areas where wee has burnt the grass a bit? If there is piggie wee and poo on the grass it should be getting fertilized enough. Is it possible to section bits off to rest them and rotate the rested bit to give it a chance to recover a bit?

Are the brown areas where wee has burnt the grass a bit? If there is piggie wee and poo on the grass it should be getting fertilized enough. Is it possible to section bits off to rest them and rotate the rested bit to give it a chance to recover a bit?

Not really is isnt a large area, fudge is a terminal piggy and since i moved i didnt have grass for her this summer- so i made her her own little garden. Guess i could make another on the other side and rotate between them... :whistle:

Oh okay, I though they grass could be dying because of them.
I accidentally left things on the grass for a few days and the grass under them started to go brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back