Magpies attacking guinea pig

If they are terrorizing your pigs then it would be best to bring your piggies inside (where possible).

Otherwise all I can think of, without knowing anything about your setup or situation - add additional thick gauge wire; ensure the enclosure is strong enough, provide lots of places for the piggies to hide; move to a secure shed if it won’t get hot in there

Australian magpies can and will kill guinea pigs, they will start by pecking their eyes out so PLEASE ensure your cage is bird and predator proof with thick wire preferably 2 layers. Ideally and most encouraged would be to house your guinea pigs safely indoors. Being outside in Australia is a dangerous place for Guinea pigs.

I've seen English Magpies harassing a wild hedgehog in a park, they work together and the poor hedgie was very scared of them. He had to keep rolling down his hood to protect his eyes while trying to move forward. He managed to escape into the bushes, but a guinea pig would be at great risk. Magpies are intelligent, agile and hunt together, so it is best not to take any chances.

Magpies are very intelligent birds, so with added protection they will realise it’s fruitless and go off and bother some other poor creature. if you have a hutch then could you put it in an aviary style covered pen in a shaded area if it’s summer/hot. Otherwise inside would be best or in a well ventilated shed

Magpies are very protective of their territory during nesting season. If you move the cage away from the magpie nest, they shouldn't attack. But, I defiantly recommend housing the piggies in a very bird-proof cage if you decide to keep them outside. Kookaburras will also hunt guinea pigs.
I also think it would help the piggies feel safe if some sort of cloth is placed over the top of their cage. Not only will it make them feel more safe from above, but a predatory bird won't see them as easily.

Back