Magnesium......Lack of = Calcification!

Storm1974

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Over the past decade I have learnt all about the benefits of Magnesium, how lack of it can cause MANY health issues in the body, because it is responsible for over 300 functions in the body, including calcification (Which is the same thing that happens with lack of Vitamin K2 which many of us don't get much of either) of the soft tissues (Most seriously the Heart, which can lead to heart attacks!), which can be very detrimental. I also learnt that most of us today are deficient in this all important mineral and there are three main reasons for that:

1) Intensive farming practices have depleted the soil to almost zero Magnesium.
2) Most of us eat a lot of calcium nowadays (Because so much is fortified with calcium and not magnesium!), much more than magnesium and too much calcium depletes magnesium.
3) Even if we eat a lot of the 'so called' magnesium rich foods such as dark, leafy greens, brown rice, nuts and seeds etc., for us humans, it is difficult to absorb that magnesium because of all the 'anti nutrients' in these foods, which are basically protection for the plant (Phytates, tannins etc) and these block absorption of minerals.

So, a few years ago I started making my own magnesium 'oil' spray and then started also taking magnesium glycinate supplements, to make sure I was getting enough magnesium and it has seemed to work really well. Now, you may be thinking, what does all this have to do with our precious piggies? :hmm:Well, today I was reading this just out of interest: Disorders and Diseases of Guinea Pigs - All Other Pets - MSD Veterinary Manual and it says that one of the fatal illnesses our piggies can suffer with is this:

Hardening of the Organs (Metastatic Calcification)😢

Guinea pigs that suffer from metastatic calcification (hardening of body tissues caused by calcium deposits) often die suddenly without any signs of illness. This condition usually occurs in male guinea pigs that are more than 1 year old. Signs, if they are seen at all, can include weight loss, muscle or joint stiffness, and increased urination (because of kidney failure). The cause of this condition is uncertain but is probably related to diets that contain too much calcium, phosphorus, or vitamin D and not enough magnesium. Most high-quality commercial guinea pig feed is formulated to contain the correct amounts of these nutrients. Check the nutrition information on the package label before buying pellets for your guinea pig, and do not give additional vitamin or mineral supplements.

So, I was wondering, do you think our piggies can possibly get enough magnesium from their diet to prevent the above? I found this link (For humans, because it's hard to find specifically for GPs) which states which leafy greens are high in magnesium....
Discover the benefits of magnesium in leafy greens and how these nutrient-packed plants can add a healthy dose of this essential mineral to your diet.

But the problem with all that is, he's not taking into account that a lot of these greens are also high/higher in calcium than magnesium.....But it's hard to work out, though for optimal health (Regarding this calcification issue) the magnesium level should be a lot higher than the calcium, especially if we already give pellets/other foods which 'only' contain calcium!

I really worry about this calcification issue, because everything the piggies seem to eat contains either 'only' calcium, higher calcium, or unknown....

Maybe I am worrying too much about this, but it's only really because I have been studying the importance of magnesium for so long now and I would really love to 'try' to increase it in my boys diets, so we don't ever wake up to one of these 'sudden' calcification deaths! 😢😢

I have literally no clue. Perhaps discuss this with your vet?

Over the past decade I have learnt all about the benefits of Magnesium, how lack of it can cause MANY health issues in the body, because it is responsible for over 300 functions in the body, including calcification (Which is the same thing that happens with lack of Vitamin K2 which many of us don't get much of either) of the soft tissues (Most seriously the Heart, which can lead to heart attacks!), which can be very detrimental. I also learnt that most of us today are deficient in this all important mineral and there are three main reasons for that:

1) Intensive farming practices have depleted the soil to almost zero Magnesium.
2) Most of us eat a lot of calcium nowadays (Because so much is fortified with calcium and not magnesium!), much more than magnesium and too much calcium depletes magnesium.
3) Even if we eat a lot of the 'so called' magnesium rich foods such as dark, leafy greens, brown rice, nuts and seeds etc., for us humans, it is difficult to absorb that magnesium because of all the 'anti nutrients' in these foods, which are basically protection for the plant (Phytates, tannins etc) and these block absorption of minerals.

So, a few years ago I started making my own magnesium 'oil' spray and then started also taking magnesium glycinate supplements, to make sure I was getting enough magnesium and it has seemed to work really well. Now, you may be thinking, what does all this have to do with our precious piggies? :hmm:Well, today I was reading this just out of interest: Disorders and Diseases of Guinea Pigs - All Other Pets - MSD Veterinary Manual and it says that one of the fatal illnesses our piggies can suffer with is this:

Hardening of the Organs (Metastatic Calcification)😢

Guinea pigs that suffer from metastatic calcification (hardening of body tissues caused by calcium deposits) often die suddenly without any signs of illness. This condition usually occurs in male guinea pigs that are more than 1 year old. Signs, if they are seen at all, can include weight loss, muscle or joint stiffness, and increased urination (because of kidney failure). The cause of this condition is uncertain but is probably related to diets that contain too much calcium, phosphorus, or vitamin D and not enough magnesium. Most high-quality commercial guinea pig feed is formulated to contain the correct amounts of these nutrients. Check the nutrition information on the package label before buying pellets for your guinea pig, and do not give additional vitamin or mineral supplements.

So, I was wondering, do you think our piggies can possibly get enough magnesium from their diet to prevent the above? I found this link (For humans, because it's hard to find specifically for GPs) which states which leafy greens are high in magnesium....
Discover the benefits of magnesium in leafy greens and how these nutrient-packed plants can add a healthy dose of this essential mineral to your diet.

But the problem with all that is, he's not taking into account that a lot of these greens are also high/higher in calcium than magnesium.....But it's hard to work out, though for optimal health (Regarding this calcification issue) the magnesium level should be a lot higher than the calcium, especially if we already give pellets/other foods which 'only' contain calcium!

I really worry about this calcification issue, because everything the piggies seem to eat contains either 'only' calcium, higher calcium, or unknown....

Maybe I am worrying too much about this, but it's only really because I have been studying the importance of magnesium for so long now and I would really love to 'try' to increase it in my boys diets, so we don't ever wake up to one of these 'sudden' calcification deaths! 😢😢

Hi

That is very much the dilemma for guinea pig owners and one of the reasons why we continue to recommend to feed a bit of greens (collards) once a week. Long term practice has show that this is a sustainable compromise.

We also recommend to reduce the amount of pellets to 1 tablespoon per piggy per day. The reduction in pellets and the filtering of water (which especially in a hard water country like the UK is the other main source of calcium in the diet) do give you more leeway with the calcium content of your veg.
Like you have noticed, pellets are mainly filler products and (even no added calcium ones) contain weight per weight more calcium than kale. They are also not enriched with all trace elements that guinea pigs need and can lead to malnutrition if overfed.

Diet is a bit of a major minefield once you get into it. We try to go with what has proven to work out in daily practice.

I would however not worry too much about losing your boys that way. Sudden mystery deaths are generally a minority.

Hi

That is very much the dilemma for guinea pig owners and one of the reasons why we continue to recommend to feed a bit of greens (collards) once a week. Long term practice has show that this is a sustainable compromise.

We also recommend to reduce the amount of pellets to 1 tablespoon per piggy per day. The reduction in pellets and the filtering of water (which especially in a hard water country like the UK is the other main source of calcium in the diet) do give you more leeway with the calcium content of your veg.
Like you have noticed, pellets are mainly filler products and (even no added calcium ones) contain weight per weight more calcium than kale. They are also not enriched with all trace elements that guinea pigs need and can lead to malnutrition if overfed.

Diet is a bit of a major minefield once you get into it. We try to go with what has proven to work out in daily practice.

I would however not worry too much about losing your boys that way. Sudden mystery deaths are generally a minority.

I do limit their pellets, but at the same time, they're also a good source of Vitamin D which they don't get because they're housed inside. I buy Versa Laga which are good quality hay based, but do still contain calcium, and their water is filtered, which I hope does remove calcium! Obviously they do need 'some' calcium though.

As for the collard greens/kale etc., they all seem to be much higher in calcium than magnesium....

I know it says boiled on this first link, but obviously humans don't eat this veg raw!
Collard greens: Benefits, nutrition, diet, and risks
https://www.livestrong.com/article/524516-the-calcium-content-in-kale-and-collard-greens/
Why is Magnesium So Important to Your Pet - My Pet Nutritionist

I wonder if there is a way to give a small amount of supplement magnesium to try and offset the high amounts of calcium, when giving foods like kale, collards etc. I know you have to be careful not to give too much though, so could be tricky.

I do limit their pellets, but at the same time, they're also a good source of Vitamin D which they don't get because they're housed inside. I buy Versa Laga which are good quality hay based, but do still contain calcium, and their water is filtered, which I hope does remove calcium! Obviously they do need 'some' calcium though.

As for the collard greens/kale etc., they all seem to be much higher in calcium than magnesium....

I know it says boiled on this first link, but obviously humans don't eat this veg raw!
Collard greens: Benefits, nutrition, diet, and risks
The Calcium Content in Kale and Collard Greens | Livestrong.com
Why is Magnesium So Important to Your Pet - My Pet Nutritionist

I wonder if there is a way to give a small amount of supplement magnesium to try and offset the high amounts of calcium, when giving foods like kale, collards etc. I know you have to be careful not to give too much though, so could be tricky.

Anything is much higher in calcium than magnesium, so you need to lower the calcium elsewhere - by filtering especially hard water and reducing the pellets.

Diet is always a compromise and since conditions vary locally quite a lot there is simply no ideal diet that suits everywhere, I am sorry to say.

Back