Mad piggy

onnie97

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So my wife's niece had a Guinea pig that she no longer could take care of so she brought it to our house we have 2 skinny pigs that just started bonding a week ago and my older skinny pig is being very aggressive towords his brother since this new pig got in the house they're not in the same cage but he can see the other pig I separated the 2 bonded ones for the night due to the fighting is this okay to do And what should I do....the new pig is being removed tomorrow but me putting the bonding ones in different cages tonight won't disrupt the bonding right?

Please can you explain what is actually happening between your two boys.
You use the words aggressive and fighting.
If the boys have had an actual fight then their bond is unfortunately a failure. In this case, they will need to live in separate cages permanently.

If it was not an actual fight and it was just dominance, then you can try to reintroduce them but do so on neutral territory and see if they want to go back together. If they do well in a bonding pen, then as before move them back to the cage.
If they do go back together, please do not separate for mild dominance behaviours in future. It is unnecessary and can in some situations disrupt bonding.
If they choose they no longer want to be together, then obviously they would need to remain apart and live in separate cages permanently.

I know your two piggies are male but what sex is your niece’s guinea pig?

If it is a female then that would be why the boys have started fighting. You should not bring a female guinea pig into the room where a bonded pair of boys live. Sow pheromones can cause bonded boars to fall out.

If your niece’s piggy is a male then having another male in the room should not cause your two boys issues in itself. But in a new bond, you’ve piggies it may have caused some excitement for them.
However again, if your boys have had an actual fight then the outcome is the same regardless of whether your niece’s piggy is male or female - your boys are likely to have had compatibility problems which suddenly came to light (which can happen during the two week bonding period when the fine details of a bond are ironed out) and their bond unfortunately is a failure.

Hello and welcome to the forum

Have a read through the boar/bonding guide this should help you decide on what is ordinary dominance behaviour and what is a fall out, it should help you judge their behaviour. It’s really helpful, it also tells you how to rebond them properly. make sure your boars have an adiquate cage big enough for both of them. It should be around 2ft x 6ft, there is less chance of fallouts if they have plenty of room and two water bottles, two hides etc and loads of hay to keep them distracted

You also need to sex your nieces GP, if she is a female then take her into a different room for now, I assume has she found another home and you are temporarily looking after her.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Back