Lunging

Carol D

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have my guinea pig Peanut for about 2 years now. She was always a little skittish but otherwise very friendly. For about 4 weeks now she is extremely skittish and lunges at you when you take away or put fresh vegetables or a treat in her cage. She doesn't lunge or bite you viciously, her teeth hardly touches my hand. For the life of me I can't figure this out. What could of changed this behavior. Nothing has changed in her environment or routine of taking care of her. I really hope that you could give me some help.

Is she alone pig or lives with another? Has anything changed in her environment in the last four weeks - however minor?

Peanut is in a midwestern cage right next to our other guinea pig Buttercup. Getting them to bond was a huge problem so for the past 2 years the two of them seem ok with the separation. Though Peanut will go to the bars closest to Buttercup and grow and pace the bars when her hormones get a little wacky. Otherwise, nothing has changed in her care and enviroment. I am totally baffled. Could she be depressed or bored?

Hi.. no I have not brought her to the Vet and is something I plan to do. But in the mean time is there idea that you may know, that it is why she is doing this. She eats all of the veggies and pellets, so there is not a problem with that. Can this behavior be attributed to depression and boredom? I wish I knew so that I can help her with whatever it is that she is going through.

The advice for something like this is to always check out a medical angle first and see a vet when there is a change in behaviour. Once medical issues have been ruled out you can then look to other potential issues such as depression and boredom etc.
As she lives alone, she will likely be transferring any behaviour which would be aimed towards partner, onto you. Lunging is generally a defensive behaviour though.

A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Thank You so much.. we have an appointment tomorrow with the Vet. Hopefully, there will be some answers to my problem. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. Carol

Back