• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Luna is doing so poorly

• Thread starter Thread starter oOtearsinheavenOo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oOtearsinheavenOo

I was sleeping and I kept hearing scattering noises from Luna and her babies. she won't let bubs suckle on her, she just wants to eat. She's been ripping out her hair due to the lice and she's bloddy and so upset. I can't seperate her from her babies, and I tried calling the emergency clinic but they won't see guineas.. I just don't know what to do with her! Babies need mum and mum need's vet.. :'( :'( :'( :'( She's at the point where she barely has any hair. :( I'm such a bad piggy mum! I've treated her though.. I just couldn't treat her entire body because she was still feeding the babies! Ugh.. someone please help. :(

Oh gosh.... :-\

Maybe weigh up the pros and cons of fully treating her...I have no idea but maybe you can feed the babies on something else other than her milk for a few days (there are people whos sows have died since birth etc so they must feed the bubs something) then maybe you can totally treat luna, give her a couple of days to feel better in herself, then put her back in with the bubs?

Do the babies have lice? Usually the other pigs in the cage should reallly be treated but i dont know about babies

I do thnk luna should be the priority atm..I'm sure that there is something else you can feed the babies on as a temp measure, but leaving her in the cage like that with the babies all trying to suckle her is the worst thing for her I think...

I wouldnt do anything until you have spoken to the vet..is there not a treatment that is mum and baby friendly? The best thing is just to get a vets advice asap hun, hope its all okay in the end :-\ :)

Shaz might be a person to talk to, i think shes had a few pregnancies :) O0

The vet said that the babies could be treated as well, just double dilute the solution. Which is fine.. but it's Luna I'm so scared about.. I feel like just giving up hope you know? Gosh what an awful feeling.. I'm re cleaning her cage right now, mind you its 2a.m.. and retreating her, then I have to sit with her until she fully dries and then redo all her bedding and everything. Then I ned to do the babies and all the other piggies cages so that they don't get this bad, as well. poor luna is flopping all over and she's not responding to the treatment. And I can't pay for the expensive vet. She charges sooo much. about 100$ per 10minutes that I'm there..

just treated looney and the bubs are all hudled together waiting for mum to come back.

I'm sorry i can only give support, i've never been thru pregnancies before.
Oh i wish you all the very very best Kay, i know you'll be stressing out big time :'( :'( :'(
Have you tried giving her a soothing bath? maybe this might help just a little?
Furbabies need mummy or a supplement, yes good idea PP contact Shaz she's been thru lots of pregnancies and there's Michelle as well O0
Sending you lots of encouragement and hope that it all works out OK :smitten:

Thanks so much Glynis! I'm going to let Looney have some water and food for a few minutes after I get done treating her. She'll have the cage to herself after she drys and I clean off her nipples for the bubs. Then, while I'm treating the babies mum can have her food and water that she wants. Hopefully this will leave her less stressed out. Right now she's in my lap drying (can't let her back in her cage till she's completely air dry) and bubs are huddled closely keeping warm. Looneys wrapped in a towel and really enjoying the comfort I think.. Poor girl. Damn me, I was so ready to give up and toss is up in the air. Partially because its 3am.. lol. Shame on me. So frusterating though.. and here I was about totake on two more sows. -.-

I wouldnt put her back in until you have done all the babies as she could catch them again! :o

Tbh i was a bit suprised to see you were taking on even more piggies as i am a rescue, and because of my two healthy sows and their babies I am stopping taking in for a while! So if I had a mum in your condition there is no way I would even think about it! :)

I'm sure she will be fine, she just needs a lot of tlc :smitten: :smitten:...if i were you id get all the piggies treated just in case! ;)

Yup. Got Mum treated and put her back in the cage which I just treated as well.(babies were already in a seperate cage) Got the babies treated and put back in the cage with mum. I'm doing the best I can. I had no idea Luna was this bad and I notified the owner of the sows that I was taking in that I had a piggy fall ill and will let her know when I can take her piggies - about a few weeks time.

I took on Harley today because he was in real bad shape. I couldn't let him stay with his current owners another day. it was less of a rescue and more of an emergency. He had no water, no vitamins.. no hay.. and was sitting on wire. Probably has lice/mites too - I'm treating him and Rocky tomorrow. (this will be rocky's second treatment.)

The only thing I'm worried about now is the stuff getting ingested by any of them.. (i.e. babies suckling from mum, or mum cleaning the babies)

Hmmm...well I dont know....because in theory a guinea pig could lick or bite themself and injest it, its not something that can be helped!

You are doing a fab job hun! I want to see more minipig piccies! :smitten: :smitten:

I hope they are okay.. Gosh what a nightmare. :( So stressfull.. 3:17 in the a.m. and my eyes are glued on my piglets.. lol I'm sure we've all been there.

I made sure that the solution for the minipigs was way diluted so hopefully that will help with what luna's ingesting..

I'm supposed to hold all the piggies and keep them from licking themselves or biting until they are dry.. I held them for as long as I can but that's nearly impossible with just furry creatures...

I think maybe phone and ask your vet if they know of another mum with babies who could feed lunas babies take the pressure off of luna obvioulsy making sure babies are treated first becasue it sounds as if the pressure of being a mum could well be making her ill when Marely had her 2 daughters in jan her coat went thin and she ahd very dry skin in patches pregnancy can cause them to go down hill quite quickly as in the condition of their bodys they find it hard to fight bugs and infections etc good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back