• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lumps on two of my Guineas

• Thread starter Thread starter Jillybean
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jillybean

I only have three guineas at the moment and sadly two have lumps. Went to the vets yesterday. Toffee had surgery a year ago to remove lumps, she had a huge op and got through it no problem. The vet said they may recur and I noticed she had a small lump a while ago but it didn't change size. The vet said yesterday he can feel 2 more. Saffy is only about 2 1/2 and she has a swollen nipple which came up really quickly within the last few days - it felt like fluid but it is a lump. I thought her spine looked as if it was sticking out a bit on top - she looks bony but I weighed her and she's fine, it turns out that's a lump also.

They are both on antibiotics for a week on the off-chance it may be an infection and am going back in a week. They will probably use a needle to get a sample. The vet didn't recommend more surgery for Toffee so that's going to be a fingers crossed that the lumps don't grow quickly. Not so good with Saffy, it would be difficult for a wound to heal on her back.

They are both happy enough and eating as usual. The vet said they both look in really good condition apart from this.

I just hope there could be some good news somewhere.

Aww how terrible for you. Icey had 3 lumps removed not long ago - fatty lumps that urned into absesses. Not long after her op I noticed that her daughter Tiny has a fairly large one. Again just a fatty lump that doesn't need anything doing to it until it bursts or changes.

Hope things can improve and the vet can give you some positive news :)

I just found one on the corner of scoobys mouth I still have some baytril so am giving him that to see if it is just an infection he keeps biting the grid lately so maybe its that thats got infected, but am keeping a watchful eye on it, fingers crossed for both of us

talking about lumps just found a ripe cyst on muffins side and got great satisfaction squeezing it all out, yuk, but it feels great when its done cleaned it up and hey presto gone, shame all lumps are not that easy to get rid of,

michellemuffin said:
talking about lumps just found a ripe cyst on muffins side and got great satisfaction squeezing it all out, yuk, but it feels great when its done cleaned it up and hey presto gone, shame all lumps are not that easy to get rid of,

oh gross :o

when you keep pigs i guess things that are gross dont matter any more, lol instead I feel great helping her to be better and lumpless

How are Toffee and Saffy? I know how worrying lumps can be with all we have been going through with Badger for the passed few months. Have the antibiotics made any difference? Our little piggy friends do cause us lots of worry! Need to go and buy more hair dye as my grey hairs are coming thick and fast! XX

There doesn't seem to be any improvement in the lumps unfortunately. Saffy & Toffee are both fine in themselves, eating as usual and active. Thank you for asking. Know what you mean about the grey hairs!

Saffy and Toffee have been back to the vets. Antibiotics didn't make any difference. Toffee's lumps are small and haven't grown and as she had a huge op last year and she's fine in herself (I've never seen such a healthy looking guinea) we're going to leave well alone.

Saffy has 3 lumps, one is a cyst on her back which vet isn't too worried about, I thought that was a nasty one but hopefully not. She has one on her nipple which he's taken a sample from and there's another one which may be to do with a lymph gland. Going to wait for the results. One of those decisions, is it worth risking an op and anaesthetic when she may live quite a lot longer with no problems.

are lumps very common in gps then?

it must be such a worry for you and your poor babies.

as long as there happy and the lumps don't bother them ,you are better of to leave well alone than put them through surgery.

my baby (who's 9 months) :) not really a baby is blind, cleft lip and crooked front teeth and has a head tilt which he is stuck with seems to live a very happy life with his disabilities.

hope all goes well :)

Had results back from vet from Saffy's sample, he said it wasn't to do with the lymph gland which is good. Have just got to keep an eye on her, am taking another guinea back in about 10 days so he's suggested I take her also.

I don't know if guineas are prone to lumps any more than other pets? I know rats are prone to them. Someone on here will know.

Jillybean said:
Had results back from vet from Saffy's sample, he said it wasn't to do with the lymph gland which is good. Have just got to keep an eye on her, am taking another guinea back in about 10 days so he's suggested I take her also.

I don't know if guineas are prone to lumps any more than other pets? I know rats are prone to them. Someone on here will know.

I have heard that rats and I believe mice are pretty prone to skin tumours and tumours in general.

To my knowledge and in my experience guineas are not. The most "troublesome" lumps and bumps on guineas tend to be cysts. Harmless enough, unless they grow to a great size.
All lumps, should be checked (in my opinion) by a vet, unless you are very experienced and feel you can really recognise a cyst or lipoma. I'm a nurse but always err on the side of caution and take them along to be seen if there is any doubt.

Worrying places for lumps and bumps are very similar to humans....
Near the mammary glands in both male and female.
Lymph glands.
Mouth/jaw area.
Anything that appears to be internal.

That said, an abscess can erupt anywhere...so always be very careful.

But if in doubt, check them out ;) Speak to your vet.
Just my thoughts.
Barbara

Yep i agree

Beni has a little lump near his nether regions and i was so worried but once the vet said that it was a harmless lump its such a relief. They do get us worried these furries :)

Scarby's cancer was a giant lump, and hard to the touch.

JB, I do hope your little ones continue to do well.

In my opinion, a competent vet can anaesthetise a guinea successfully, but of course it depends on your vet.

Lucinda said:
In my opinion, a competent vet can anaesthetise a guinea successfully, but of course it depends on your vet.

Absoloutley :)

While guineas can have problems under anaeasthetic (as we and all animals can.) We are hearing of this less about them as drugs get safer and more vets take an interest in these small animals.
I think that there are too many "scare" stories on the web and in some books (which are essentially out of date) and this can put some owners (understandably) off what may be life saving surgery. This isn't a comment about anyone here...it's a general one and just my thoughts on the matter.

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back