• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump under Pumkin's chin!

• Thread starter Thread starter CarrieQuiteContrary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CarrieQuiteContrary

I was petting Pumkin today and I noticed he has a marble sized lump under his mouth. Is this a normal thing or something serious? I am really worried about him :-( Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

It could just be one of those nasty abscesses, but you need to take her to the vets to get it checked out.

Good luck

Could be an absess take him to the Vet ASAP.

Good luck!

Louise
x

Yes, I suspect an abscess. They are easily fixed with anti biotics and being washed out. I've dealt with several - all successfully. Good luck :)

Sounds like an abscess to me.Can you get to the CCT?Or get to a piggy friendly vet.I sympathise with you if it is an abscess as my little Spice has on going abscesses since May.

Check out the recommended vets section. There may be a good one near you.

Hi, I found a lump under Fizz's chin on Friday night and took her to the vets on Saturday. Fizz's lump is almost marble size and it doesn't feel attached to anything. The vet drained it and said it looks like an abcess so she is on some Baytrill twice a day. (The faces she pulls when we give it to her are a picture!) The vet said apparently lumps under the chin can be quite common for all sorts of reasons.
Good Luck...let us know how you get on :)

Claire

I am going to need to make him an appointment soon. I start school this week but I think that I should be able to bring him in tomorrow or Tuesday night. I don't think that its a tumor or anything, because it appeared over night. Is there anything that I can do on my own to help it until then? How do you flush it out. I just adopted him from the humane society two weeks ago.

Pumkin's lump is under the skin as well, I dont think i will be able to squeeze any pus out or anything like that...

Also, I am a first time guinea pig owner so any advice you guys have and an explanation of how/what to do is much appreciated! Thanks!

OoOoh dear id take him to the vets and find out for sure as it could be an absecc and might have to be removed and theyll prescribe some drugs for him to keep it down O0

The vet should open it up for you and you'll need to keep getting the pus out.

Yup, dont try and do anything by yourself until your vet has shown you how. Not all vets are good with guinea pigs, so try to find a good exotics vet in your area who deals with guineas on a regular basis :)

There is an exotic animal vet right near my house actually, which is great now that I have Pumkin. It costs $45 though and tomorrow I have to buy my textbooks and parking pass and then pay tuition soon so I am worried that I will have to wait till I get paid next. Maybe if I call my dad up he will let me borrow some money :-) It seems to have shrunk a little overnight.

You really do need to get Pumpkin to a vet asap.This could be a dental abcess and if left untreated the toxins could get into the jaw.

My guinea pig has the exact same thing! We have a vet appointment tomorrow

If its a lumpy and CRUSTY then its mites..

Hope i helped :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

It wasnt lumpy or crusty, just one marble sized lump. I went to get him today out of his cage and i felt it and it had popped! There isnt any open sore it was just wet feeling, like a blister that had popped. It isnt red really so I think that he will be ok. I will keep you guys posted, thanks for caring! Sorry I took so long, I started my sophomore year of college today and was in massive preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back