• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

lump under nipple

• Thread starter Thread starter sue h
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sue h

Hi everyone0i dont know if my vet is on the right track with my little janey,,
I noticed a lump last week under her nipple so took her straight to the vets.also she had lost some hair from her belly :(i took her in and he sqeezed it and some stuff came out,he thinks its a infection and have been given baytril to give 0.5ml 1xday.
i took her back today because she looks bloated and feels bloated but he said shes just putting on weight and that the lump has gone down abit..what do you all think?
i am worried about bloat-what are the main symptoms of this?she does not seen in any pain.....

thanks
sue
x

Sue,what area are you in.I think you need to find a better vet asap.This vet does not sound very clever with pigs.I know finding a vet is not easy.Have you looked at the recommended vets link at the top of the page.
If you let us know where you are someone may be able to help you find a vet quickly.
If your piggy does have bloat it is an emergency.
Can you check that the piggy is passing normal amounts of urine.
Bloat is very painful,and as yours seems to be o.k. in herself,hopefully it is not.

The symptoms of bloat are distended sides aand the piggy will look very uncomfortable and cry when you touch the sides.
Give the piggy 1ml of Infacol,this will help disperse any gas,and will not do harm if there is no wind.
The problem is that there are 2 kinds of bloat,one cause3d by a build up of gas and one cause3d by fluid retention.You need to know which it is before you can treat.

The lump under the teat sounds like an abcess that has burst.
The Baytril is the right treatment for this.Bath the area with warm salt water and try to squeeze out any pus.

Have a look at Petergurney.com there is a good article on their about bloat.
I think the priority though is to try and find a vet that knows more about piggy problems.

Lump could be a mammary gland tumour or Ovarian Cysts, the nipples sometimes have discharge with this. But find another vet.

When you tap her sides do they sound hollow?

On re-reading your post,I am inclined to agree with Karen re ovarian cyst.These can make the piggy look pregnant.Is the hair loss on her sides as well as her tummy?,this often happens with cysts.

Ovarian cysts sometimes make the sow sexually aggressive,and they will try and hump their pen mates.

An injection of HCG will often shrink the cysts.The cysts can be drained with a needle, but they will fill up again fairly quickly.If the piggy is young and strong,hysterectomy could be considered,but this is major surgery for a piggy.

You do need to get a proper diagnosis though.

I've had success with the HCG injections, and no probs afterwards, particularly big cysts need more injs sometimes. I would never have this type of surgery done on any sow, in my opinion its too invasive, I draw the line at castrates and some bladderstone ops.

HI Karen and Mary thanks so much for your replies sorry i have not been on earlier but i had probs with my computer...
anyway really good news Janey is doing alot better now i bought some infacol and her stomach has gone down by loads i think she may have been full of wind.
she is still on the baytrill for the lump under her nipple and that seems to now be going down.i have been bathing the area in warm salt water as well.
so we are looking good at the mo :D

oh we are in leicestershire and do you know of a really good guinea pig vet in the area?

ta
sue
x

Sorry no, sometimes you just have to work with your vet if they're willing :) Its the only way we're going to get 'good vets' unfortunately :) Find out what vets the local rescues use and go there (still no guarantees but at least if they see a lot of pigs its a start :)

Glad there's been some improvemnet :) Infacol is great, I have a couple of pigs that just seem to 'blow up' for no apparent reason too ::)

Oh you poor thing :'( I'm so sorry for your loss :'( :'( Little Janey will know you did all you could 0:) Have you got other piggies? Find a better Vet asap if you can O0 Thinking of you :smitten:

yes i only have one piggie left and this is the next worry she will be very very lonely becuase she is used to living in a group-we have 4 at one time but they have all passed away now..

I will ring the rspca in leicester and see if they have any females available.. :smitten:

sue
xx

So sorry to hear about Janey. :'( :'(
RIP little one.
Anne. x :smitten:

Sue, so sorry to hear about Janey :'(,sending you lots of hugs s xx

sleep tight little one 0:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back