Low energy cage cleaning tips? For disabled prospective owner

ashjh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi folks! I've been thinking for a while about getting a pair of piggies. The possible barrier is I have chronic fatigue. Feeding and general care should be fine but I'm worried about reliably having the physical energy to keep their cage clean.

Does anyone have advice on ways to keep the cage in good shape in a low physical exertion way? What types of cage and bedding would you recommend, and other tips and tricks? I would particularly love to hear from other chronically ill or disabled people.

As a boy I kept guinea pigs in a hutch and run outdoors. These days I am looking at cages for indoors so it's all new. I'd like to give them lots of room - I want 2 sows but will try and give them the minimum space for 3 pigs if I can. But can't commit until I know I can meet all their needs.

Welcome to the Forum! Well done on doing your research first. You have certainly come to the place of all things piggy! We are all very friendly and welcoming, are serious when we need to but we also like our fun. Have a rootle around and see what you can find. There are lots of guides at the top on the green bar.

Here is a bit of bedtime reading for you!

Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

:wel:

For two sows, the cage would need to measure 150x60cm or a 2x4 c&c (which measures 150x77cm). Anything beyond that is of course fantastic!

Bedding wise, these guides may help you make a decision. Bedding is such a personal thing as what works for one may not work for another!

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

:wel:

For two sows, the cage would need to measure 150x60cm or a 2x4 c&c (which measures 150x77cm). Anything beyond that is of course fantastic!

Bedding wise, these guides may help you make a decision. Bedding is such a personal thing as what works for one may not work for another!

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
A Detailed

Thanks! I've got my eye on C&C but open to other options.

I'm really keen to minimise kneeling / stretching / reaching time in clean outs. Wondering if fleece (and maybe hoovering up the poos with a minivac) is good for that. Or if it's possible to have removable trays with substrate that you can just fully empty into the bin. Or if somebody's got a totally different solution that's even easier for folks like me!

I would start by saying well done for doing your research first.

A C&C is a good option as they are easy to reach into.
Maybe putting it on a convenient height table or stand would also help.

As for bedding choice, a lot depends on what you personally find easiest to manage.
I use fleece for my piggies, as I find positioning small pee pads in high traffic areas means that the main liners only need to be removed and washed once a week.
I currently have a rabbit inside who is on shavings, and whilst cleaning her out means scooping out a pile of wet shavings once a day, I somehow find this messier than using fleece. But everyone will have their own personal preference as to what works best for them.

You've been given wonderful advice so far. I certainly can't advise you better than the more experienced members above or better than the guides on the forum. But I would add one thought. If you have the budget for it, perhaps having the cage on a table or some kind of sturdy stand might help? It could eliminate some of the bending. If not, I'd recommend what I do and that's have a small stool next to the cage. I sit on it when cleaning the cage to help reduce some of the backpain that I get from bending. Hope this helps!

I suffer with a lot of pain and cage cleaning is an ordeal. I have a c and c cage (2.5 × 4) and fleece. I find the fleece useful at full cleaning time as I can bring the poop towards me in a pile by lifting up the corners. It's on the floor so I have to get into the cage for regular poo picking and cleaning the correx/putting down the new puppy pads and fleece on cleaning out day. I couldn't reach into the corners if it was on a table, but it would make some things easier. I use a gardening stool to sit down on when I'm not actually in the cage.

I'm tired out after a minute of cleaning, so I clean the hay box ( it's big) first and put in a hide for the piggies as a temporary cage (they share nicely), then do a minute or two (literally) at a time, with rests in between. For example I may divide the task of getting all the cleaning materials from the kitchen to the cage into two one minute tasks. I get it done but it just takes a little longer than it might take other people.

Good luck.

Hi! I have a 2 x 4 c&c cage for my pair of girls so I have some experience with the set up you are considering. My cage is against a wall and I really have to stretch to get the corners nearest the wall, so I could imagine it would help a lot to place it in area where all sides of the cage are easily accessible. It may not be the most convenient in terms of room set up, but I certainly think it would help with accessibility a lot. Setting their cage on a table would also help with the bending issue and many people prefer it over a cage on the floor for that reason. I have bad knees and the kneeling can be hard sometimes. I have considered ordering knee pads or a knee mat for cage cleaning, maybe that is something that could help you. I would highly recommend a cage with no lid as long as there are no potential dangers to the piggies in your home (other animals, small children, etc.)

I have used both disposable bedding and fleece and fleece is way less labor intensive in my opinion. You just lift it up and throw it in the wash as compared to digging up heavy bedding. Another tip I have is to try to get the piggies to mostly poo in one area so you don't have to reach all over the cage to pick up poop everywhere. Having a kitchen area really helps with this. I have a litter tray with a small lip that I line with pee pads. Their water bottles are above the litter tray and they get a big pile of hay in it which is topped up throughout the day. 90% of their poops end up in there since piggies poop where they eat most of the time. It is very piggy dependent and they still might go wherever they want, but you can at least try to encourage them.

I've used a vacuum and it is helpful for poops, but not so much with hay. The easiest and fastest method I have found for daily cleaning is just wearing rubber dish washing gloves and picking the stuff up by hand. The rubber gloves really help get the hay up. You can also get rubber hand brooms which may work the same. This is just my experience and my vacuum was a cheap one so you may have more luck with a higher quality vacuum. Overall, I think the daily cleaning is the only thing that might pose a bit of a challenge, since it is generally the most labor intensive thing about having piggies, but hopefully some of the tips here can help! :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry you suffer from chronic fatigue. I have a chronic back problem and I do struggle with cleaning out my boys. I would love a cage on a table that I could get all of the way around. My two boys can’t come inside as my husband has hay fever and asthma so they live in my garage. I can manage for now but if my back plays up or gets worse (very likely) then I have a number for someone who would come and clean it for me weekly. I haven’t had to use them yet but I feel happy knowing that they are there if I need them. They said a cage clean would be £5. Bargain. It’s a young person trying to make some pocket money. Maybe you could pay someone for the major clean once a week? Good luck. Can’t wait to meet your piggies.

Thank you very much all of you, your advice and all the details everyone gave are so helpful!

I'm getting way clearer idea of what setup would be best for me now. Table if I can manage it (ideally with access on both long sides), stool next to the cage if not. Fleece plus pee pads or litter box for high traffic areas. And somebody I can contact and pay to do the big clean if I'm too unwell! That one would be a big reassurance.

I'm also mulling over if an extra long handled brush and a mini mop might be handy for reaching into corners on the big clean!

Hello and welcome :)

Well done for doing your research first. You have been given some excellent advise.

I don't have chronic fatigue but I do have MH problems and non epileptic seizures so the less time it takes me to clean out my piggies, the better.

I have four piggies and I use puppy pads, wood shavings and hay. I poop pick and take out wet bedding replacing with fresh daily and do a full clean out once a week but I'm not going to lie, it can be hard work if I am having a bad day.

I personally never got on with fleece as I couldn't deal with the washing and picking hay off the fleece but it may be a good choice for you as you just sweep it and wash it every few days or so. Pee pads in high traffic areas will minimise the washing of the big fleece.

My cage is on a table that is waste high so there is no bending and not much stretching. Good luck with whatever you decide

Hello and welcome :)

Well done for doing your research first. You have been given some excellent advise.

I don't have chronic fatigue but I do have MH problems and non epileptic seizures so the less time it takes me to clean out my piggies, the better.

I have four piggies and I use puppy pads, wood shavings and hay. I poop pick and take out wet bedding replacing with fresh daily and do a full clean out once a week but I'm not going to lie, it can be hard work if I am having a bad day.

I personally never got on with fleece as I couldn't deal with the washing and picking hay off the fleece but it may be a good choice for you as you just sweep it and wash it every few days or so. Pee pads in high traffic areas will minimise the washing of the big fleece.

My cage is on a table that is waste high so there is no bending and not much stretching. Good luck with whatever you decide
Thanks, that sounds like a good alternative if I decide against fleece in the end!

Yeah I think there'll be times when it's tough. There's times when just keeping *me* clean and fed is a headache. But I think having them around will be a massive emotional boost, they're such fantastic little animals. So hopefully I can make it work!

I have Ehlers Danlos and get tired really quickly.

I have 6 pigs which are normally out in the shed but when too hot/cold they come inside. When inside they're in C&C cages. I prefer to have the cage 2 grids deep as it's easier to reach. I also make it so one wall can fold down or open like a gate to make it easier.

I've found fleece to be so much easier. I'm getting a hand vac to help spot clean.

After removing everything off the fleece I fold/roll it and put it into a wash bag before putting it into the machine.

Could you foster a pair for a bit to see if it's something that you can do long term?

I have Ehlers Danlos and get tired really quickly.

I have 6 pigs which are normally out in the shed but when too hot/cold they come inside. When inside they're in C&C cages. I prefer to have the cage 2 grids deep as it's easier to reach. I also make it so one wall can fold down or open like a gate to make it easier.

I've found fleece to be so much easier. I'm getting a hand vac to help spot clean.

After removing everything off the fleece I fold/roll it and put it into a wash bag before putting it into the machine.

Could you foster a pair for a bit to see if it's something that you can do long term?
Ohh doing a little test fostering is a great idea, going to look into options for that!

Thanks for all the tips!

i use aubiose, in my cages and they are on stands.i have a hutch as well outside.i like fleece but found the up keep too much with 14 piggies.its a personal choice which bedding is best for you and your piggies.Having a table stand helps alot.just doing little and often maybe better for fatigue,fleece lends a better hand for this,maybe use a dustbuster.

You’ve already got great advice, but I still wanted to comment as I’m a guinea pig momma with narcolepsy, so I totally get this. First, I’ll say that if you have a partner/someone else to help, it’s much easier. I used to do all the cleaning myself as I’m such a perfectionist, but learning to say “I just can’t today. You need to do it” has done wonders for me. However, I realize not everyone has this luxury.

Secondly, I would recommend getting two sows because their chances of getting along is greater than boars (I say this as a boar mom, too!). Even if it’s the same amount of waste being produced, it’s much easier to clean one cage than two if they don’t get on.

Lastly, I’ve found using a mixture of fleece and paper bedding works well for us. They get fleece in the main area and bedding in their “kitchens,” which makes for easy cleaning. However, what it really comes down to is figuring out what works for you. Some people hate fleece because of the laundry component. Some hate the cost of paper bedding. Sometimes my boars decide to pee more on the fleece than the bedding and I want to scream because it then gets stinky faster. Sometimes I can’t find the bedding I like at the store and I’m thankful we use mainly fleece, etc. It’s about what works for you and your piggies, so it’s a bit of trial and error.

I definitely feel your pain, as sleep disabilities are NO joke. For me, at least, my piggies have helped me so much with the depression aspect of my disabilities, and they’re so worth it.

You’ve already got great advice, but I still wanted to comment as I’m a guinea pig momma with narcolepsy, so I totally get this. First, I’ll say that if you have a partner/someone else to help, it’s much easier. I used to do all the cleaning myself as I’m such a perfectionist, but learning to say “I just can’t today. You need to do it” has done wonders for me. However, I realize not everyone has this luxury.

Secondly, I would recommend getting two sows because their chances of getting along is greater than boars (I say this as a boar mom, too!). Even if it’s the same amount of waste being produced, it’s much easier to clean one cage than two if they don’t get on.

Lastly, I’ve found using a mixture of fleece and paper bedding works well for us. They get fleece in the main area and bedding in their “kitchens,” which makes for easy cleaning. However, what it really comes down to is figuring out what works for you. Some people hate fleece because of the laundry component. Some hate the cost of paper bedding. Sometimes my boars decide to pee more on the fleece than the bedding and I want to scream because it then gets stinky faster. Sometimes I can’t find the bedding I like at the store and I’m thankful we use mainly fleece, etc. It’s about what works for you and your piggies, so it’s a bit of trial and error.

I definitely feel your pain, as sleep disabilities are NO joke. For me, at least, my piggies have helped me so much with the depression aspect of my disabilities, and they’re so worth it.
Thank you, that's really helpful! Yeah having to separate them is a big concern for me so I'm leaning towards sows or possibly an established pair of boars aged 2-3.

I've done a big batch of research and now going to think it over and got some arrangements to make...fingers crossed it all works out!

I don't have anything to add to the great advice you have received above. I just wanted to thank you for being so thorough with your research. It's clear from the depth you are going in to that, should a pair of piggies end up in your care, they will be very lucky indeed.

I hope it works out for you and you feel the benefit of being owned by small, furry potatoes :)) as someone who has had mental health problems on and off they have definitely got me through some difficult times.

ive just got a 5x2 c&c cage and i got a stand with it similar to pic ive attached but in white not black

Attachments

• 5d73f257-a28f-440a-b28c-37813cd3948a.webp
    5d73f257-a28f-440a-b28c-37813cd3948a.webp
    81.6 KB · Views: 2
Back