low calcium pellets

PennyCopper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Looking for low calcium pellets in USA. Been a long battle over here with a piggie that has constant sludge/calcium come out with his poops.
The vet monitors the bladder every so often to make sure the sludge is not causing stones or is too heavy to pass.
Any way after a strict cut down on pellets and the lowest calcium veggies every day we still see the calcium when Cowboy goes the bathroom. He is restricted to only 8 pellets twice a day with two generous salad servings and hay 24-7. My vet said take him off pellets alltogether but I would like to find a low calcium first. Cowboy likes eating with his sister and brother.

Uk pellets,are science selective grainfree.contains 0.6mgs.They are the lowest I've seen.
USA may have other brands.i believe your water is softer than the uk.which is a hard water country.its suggested you filter uk water to lower the calcium content.

I hardly feed any pellets. My pigs get five pellets each and even then it’s only twice a week.
I am considering stopping altogether when I run out of the current bag.
As most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and water, I then have more leeway in terms of veg and I do have the ability to feed higher calcium veggies without concern.

Do also note that a diet too low in calcium will cause the same issues as a diet which is too high in calcium, so cutting everything down isn’t a good idea either. You have to find a balance which works for your local situation.

Uk pellets,are science selective grainfree.contains 0.6mgs.They are the lowest I've seen.
USA may have other brands.i believe your water is softer than the uk.which is a hard water country.its suggested you filter uk water to lower the calcium content.
Thank you. I will use the key words you provided to search in Us for a pellet like this. Also, since they were babies I have given them distilled water. Is that the same as filtered? You have been helpful

I hardly feed any pellets. My pigs get five pellets each and even then it’s only twice a week.
I am considering stopping altogether when I run out of the current bag.
As most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and water, I then have more leeway in terms of veg and I do have the ability to feed higher calcium veggies without concern.

Do also note that a diet too low in calcium will cause the same issues as a diet which is too high in calcium, so cutting everything down isn’t a good idea either. You have to find a balance which works for your local situation.
I appreciate your reply very much thank you I will absolutely continue to cut back on pellets. ‘Junk food’ was how someone posted in a reply. Lol they don’t need junk food when mother provide everything that they need

Thank you. I will use the key words you provided to search in Us for a pellet like this. Also, since they were babies I have given them distilled water. Is that the same as filtered? You have been helpful

No it isn’t the same as filtered - it’s a different process. Distilled water should not be given to guinea pigs

All About Drinking And Bottles

Distilled water should not be given to guinea pigs. Low calcium bottled water or filtered water is best if you have hard tap water.
Wow! Thank you after all these years I thought I was doing the babies a good thing. 😞 u til I can locate and purchase ‘low calcium water in Florida, is ‘filtered’ bottled water better? Also can you explain more why distilled is not good for them? I really appreciate the information and knowledge

Distilled water is totally devoid of minerals and nutrients. It can in the long term cause cramps, tiredness etc. in humans and supposedly in other animals well. Filtered water will remove enough calcium and some minerals but not all.
Please also accept that the UK is mainly a hard water country whereas the USA is mainly a soft water country, which is the reason why some diet recommendations don't necessarily work out on the other side of the Atlantic.

Please be aware that a long term diet too low in calcium and minerals can cause major health issues and can actually lead to the formation of calcium pees, crystals and even stones just as much as as a diet too high in it. There is a sweet spot but it varies locally. Calcium is vital for the body to work so a zero calcium diet will only get you into more trouble. My suspicion is that your diet could actually be on the too low side of the sweet spot, seeing all your efforts to eliminate any calcium.

PS: It is a misconception that stones are made from calcium; they are actually made of carbohydrates. However, the calcium balance is an important factor for the formation of stones - one amongst several; and new research continues to throw new hats into the ring.

Distilled water is totally devoid of minerals and nutrients. It can in the long term cause cramps, tiredness etc. in humans and supposedly in other animals well. Filtered water will remove enough calcium and some minerals but not all.
Please also accept that the UK is mainly a hard water country whereas the USA is mainly a soft water country, which is the reason why some diet recommendations don't necessarily work out on the other side of the Atlantic.

Please be aware that a long term diet too low in calcium and minerals can cause major health issues and can actually lead to the formation of stones just as much as as diet too high in it. There is a sweet spot but it varies locally. Calcium is vital for the body to work so a zero calcium diet will only get you into more trouble. My suspicion is that your diet could actually be on the too low side of the sweet spot, seeing all your efforts to eliminate any calcium.

PS: It is a misconception that stones are made from calcium; they are actually made of carbohydrates. However, the calcium balance is an important factor for the formation of stones - one amongst several; and new research continues to throw new hats into the ring.
Your reply was so very helpful for me to make decisions. I will go though all your info again and rework some things here for the Tribe.
Thank you so much!

Back