Low calcium diet advice

Jessb5593

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently had my piggy operated on for a mammary tumour and they also found sludge in her bladder so vet has recommended to only feed lettuce and hay from now on.
I know that guinea pigs need vitamin c and this just seems so restrictive and there seems to be some veg e.g. red bell pepper with less calcium content than lettuce?
My guinea pigs like their farm hay / readi grass so less concerned about cutting out pellets but just lettuce seems so boring and not very nutritional?

Welcome to the forum
i hope your piggy is recovering well from surgery

A lot of calcium comes via pellets and drinking water. Either reducing pellets or cutting them out entirely and ensuring drinking water is filtered goes a long way to keeping calcium levels down. Do be aware that too little calcium can also knock the balance out and cause as many problems as too much calcium.

There are other veggies which can be given in a low calcium diet and it doesn’t need to be so restricted.
Giving a majority of hay and fresh grass (readigrass is rich so should only be a treat) is the best thing but also keeping a wet diet can help keep the bladder flushed.

Some of the highest calcium veggies and herbs are kale, spinach, parsley and dill so you would want to avoid those

Below is our feeding guide and you will see there is a section on veggies for bladder piggies. You may find this helpful

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Back