• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Low Blood Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Just thought i'd let you all know from my experience with Duke yesterday to be careful of low blood pressure in piggies.

He had a toofie trim, again his back molars were meeting up and making it difficult for him to eat :( He also had his eye checked out and they found out he'd had an abscess at some stage on it and that it was healing but needed extra care, a cream.

OK here's the problem:

I left him at home at 10.45am and went to work, he had full trays of foods, pellets and water. I was unable to get home due to a few probs at work.
Dee didn't need to be picked up until 4pm but i just had this feeling and went home first to feed and check up on Duke. Thank god i did, when i picked him up he was floppy :o :o quite cool to touch and breathing laboured and also very very pale almost white lips (his are normally pink)
I tried to syringe feed him CC but it literally dribbled out his mouth, i for some reason went and got the metacam and gave him a dose, popped him in his box and went to collect Dee at school and on the way called the vets.
They saw him straight away :smitten: :smitten: they were wonderful. Checked his heart, breathing etc etc etc... They feel that he had been in pain and wasn't coping with it and hence his blood pressure went down, dangerously so :'( :'( :'( They also told me that i had found him in time and that what i did was the right thing, it was just an instinct thing to do.

So please everyone keep an eye out for this in your piggies cause it's very very scary to find them like this, and i just thank my instincts that i did the right thing for him. I know he will be leaving me at some stage but we're so close as i've now been syringe feeding etc. for over year and our bond is pretty tight :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: I know all of his little whimpers etc...

Wow that was good piggie mommy instincts!

I hope he feeling better now x

He's okish, still not himself but i feel i've beaten this hurdle, but still crossing my paws of course
Thanks for your words :smitten:

awww thanks for the advice! bless him! sending him special piggy hugs and kisses and to you too! well done, mrs mummy senses. ;D :) hope he feels lots better soon. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks all :smitten: :smitten:

He's still not himself, still very very rattly chest :'( and not eating very much at all :'(
I syringe fed his CC and then spent the next 1/2 hour tearing off little strips of lettuce and hand feeding it too him. He eventually got tired so i've popped him off to bed, will go down and check on him before i go to bed. Think i'll give him a CC feed during the night as a precaution.

Thanks again everyone O0 :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Omg! Well done for acting so quickly, i'd like to think i'd do the same but i'd be sooo scared! Poor little duke hope he is feeling better soon :smitten:
Love Emma x

Oh Glynis, what a fright you must have got!
Glad your instinct told you to get home, you saved his life.
Come on Dukey, get well now :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Bet finding him was a bit of a shocker for you :o :o :o Superpiggymum to the rescue! Well done you! O0

Really hope little Dukey gets better soon :-* :-* :-* Duke - be a good boy and get better for your mummy there's a good boy ;)

Well done Glynis, I'm sure you've done more than your best for him :smitten:

What a shock that must have been to find Duke like that.You are doing a great job,I hope that I can do the same for Spice.

It's lucky you have those instincts! He's a lucky little man! Hope he is more himself soon.

BTW what is metacam, is it a pain killer? How is it dispensed?

Boureki said:
It's lucky you have those instincts! He's a lucky little man! Hope he is more himself soon.

BTW what is metacam, is it a pain killer? How is it dispensed?

Yes your right on the ball, Metacam is a pain relief, given by a measured syringe... 0.2 i think would be all he gets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back