Love feedback on feeding routines

Neecyx

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'd love some feedback/advice on feeding time routines. I'm a newbie with 6months, and only got our 2nd GP 2 weeks ago. While they were separated I gave 2 separate bowls of veg etc. But the last fews days they are sharing a cage. So, because it's 1cup (50g) per GP, I've been giving 1 bowl (50g) of veg to share with nuggets and hay in the morning and 2nd bowl (50g) to share in the evening. Is this OK? Or should I just give 2 bowls separately in the morning. They're not fighting and seem quiet happy to share the food. Any tips greatly appriciated. Thanks guys 😊

As long as it is working then it is fine to feed them like that.
I tend to scatter feed veg by placing a few pieces around the cage for enrichment.

It is also good to be aware that there may be a point in the future when they are less happy to share (hormones, seasons, teenage months, etc) so it's always good to have the option to split the feeds or scatter them.

It’s about finding what works for you!

I do agree though - do be aware that their ability to share, particularly with one of your boars being six months old and at the height of hormone output and your youngest about to hit his teens within the coming weeks, may be tested

As long as it is working then it is fine to feed them like that.
I tend to scatter feed veg by placing a few pieces around the cage for enrichment.

It is also good to be aware that there may be a point in the future when they are less happy to share (hormones, seasons, teenage months, etc) so it's always good to have the option to split the feeds or scatter them.
I didn't think of scattering the food, good idea. And thank you, I didn't take into consideration about hormones etc.

Thanks guys, it's great to get advice from other guinea pig owners, I didn't think of different hormone stages. Also reading threads on here that they can fall out, so definitely gonna split the food.

Definitely good not to give them a reason to bicker.

There's no right schedule, I do hay and veg breakfast, then hay, veg and nuggets at teatime.

I make the same noise every time they get veg, which they quickly learn and get very excited. For new piggies especially, I'll try to offer them some veg by hand, to get them trusting me.

Scattering works wonders! I put pieces on top of their tunnels. My guys love to search the cage for food using their little sniffers!
My boys also get two bowls but happily eat out of one.

I scatter feed veggies and hide nuggets and dried forage in their piles of hay. One of my piggies favourite things is a paper carrier bag (handles removed) filled with hay and dried forage.

Back