Loud squeaking

Reba

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but I wasn't 100% where it should go.

2 Guinea pigs, both female and approx 2 years, lived together happily entire lives.

I guess my question is, is there a way to get piggies to settle down and stop squeaking so loud?

My two have recently taken to squeaking so loud over absolutely everything, almost on screaming levels. We can't hear ourselves talk over the noise of them.

We've recently moved house and they're now housed in the lounge when they were in the kitchen in the old house. My new neighbours have questioned what the regular screaming noises are (I also have a young child so I'm wondering if they were concerned for him?)
They have all the water, hay, food and housing needs met. They have plenty of time outside of the cage. Get a good variety veg and we grow some of our own veg and herbs specifically for them to enjoy. The squeaking doesn't even seem to be food related. It's just as soon as anyone speaks or moves or makes the slightest noise in the lounge. They could have just had a huge pile of veg given 2 minutes prior but if someone speaks across the room is the squeaking starts again.

I love my pigs but this is getting too much for our family and I'm worried about my new neighbours being able to hear it.

Is it possible to reduce the noise, as they were never like this before we moved,but we were only in the kitchen with them during cooking/meal times.
Or is this just them?

If this is piggie wheeking your referring to (the noises they make for food) it sounds like your pigs are trying to train you! I think they know you bring food and the more they’re seeing you the more hopeful they are that each time you’ll bring food!
I find if I ever want mine to quieten down a bit I leave the room or stop making noises so they think I’ve gone. If you keep giving them the food when they wheek it will encourage the wheeking even more so maybe try to stick to certain times they get their food to give them a routine. But to be honest wheeking is just part of guinea pigs and there isn’t really a way to stop them doing it.

Back