Lots of twitching

MissMetal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, we have had our 2 Guinea pigs, Kevin and Nico (they’re both females) for just over a month now, and apart from the initial worry about Kevin ‘picking’ on Nico, things have been going well and they hardly bicker anymore. However, today, we got them both out for a little hold as we have been doing most days, but Kevin immediately started jumping and twisting, and it looked like her back end was going flat and one of her back legs was sticking out, then next minute she’d be fine, then she’d do it again. It didn’t look good and we thought was something wrong with her. Nico then started doing little jumps so we put them back in their hutch, and watched Kevin, and she was totally fine. She ran down her ramp to the play area below and had a little run around, then ran back up where both of then tucked into their salad bowl. We’ve seen the jumping about many times before, popcorning i believe it’s called, but this just looked odd due to the floppy back end and the sticky out leg!
Is this normal and just another little Guinea pig quirk? Her back end and leg where completely normal once back in her hutch.

I know when I stroke or scratch my piggies backs they do I think what you are describing. They sort of stretch out, flattening their backs and stick their legs out. Their backends sometimes roll onto their sides aswell if that makes sense. I think it may be just like you say, another piggie quirk. I'm sure someone else will reply and give their take on this.

I know when I stroke or scratch my piggies backs they do I think what you are describing. They sort of stretch out, flattening their backs and stick their legs out. Their backends sometimes roll onto their sides aswell if that makes sense. I think it may be just like you say, another piggie quirk. I'm sure someone else will reply and give their take on this.
Thanks. Kevin’s back end was sort of rolling to her side. It was really odd but she’s totally fine. It’s good to hear someone else has seen this sort of thing too.

Back