Lots of questions from a first-timer

catalyst

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello from a complete first-timer and guinea pig newbie!

We've just received the go-ahead from our landlord and I've contacted some rescue centres, so we are hoping to rehome two guinea pigs (prob a female pair) very soon.

I think we have space for a 4x2 C&C cage. I've just wondering about the correx. The C&C site says it should last indefinitely. Do more experienced owners find that to be true? Do guinea pigs chew on things very much?

I see some pictures of setups that show just some areas lined with hay or fleece. Do guinea pigs tend to use a particular area of their enclosure for pees and poos, and for sleeping and eating? Is there any way to estimate what percentage of a 149cm x 77cm cage should be devoted to these needs?

I'm trying to think of how we can use some old things we have stashed away to make a comfy home. For example, could we use old waterproof pads from our children's cots/cotbeds as a lining under fleece, hay, etc?

Could we use a no-longer-needed pram footmuff as a fleece? It's thick and soft cosy synthetic fleece.

Thank you!

Hi,

I have a C&C cage, the correx has lasted 2 years and is still in great condition. I personally use fleece and have a large hay rack made out of c&c grids. I use bath mats under the hay rack and Guineadad fleece liners with pee pads in high traffic areas. Guinea pigs tend to pee and poo where they eat, so you may find you will have to change out the fleece underneath the hay more often than the main fleece.

You can use a litter tray with disposable bedding and put in large piles of hay if that works better for you. I personally only use a hay rack because hay is extremely expensive in Australia.

I'm not sure about the pram footmuff or cot pads. It might not wick well and smell quickly.

Hope this helps 😊

Some piggies do try to chew the correx and some don’t. My piggies live in my shed and I don’t routinely use correx with them except when they come into the house during cold/hot weather. They don’t pay attention to the correx at all. I also have three rabbits. Two of them leave their correx hutch liners alone, but the other one has destroyed his!

Don’t overthink the percentage space etc, it’s really not that precise. In a 2x4 c&c cage, people generally would use a 2x1 space as a kitchen area for two piggies, but it isnt something you desperately need to worry about. The piggies will pee and poop everywhere though.

I wouldnt use the pram footmuff - I don’t imagine that will work well.
Fleece needs an absorbent layer underneath it - puppy pads are commonly used.

Sometimes my boys chew the correx, more as an attention-seeking thing though, I think!

I use the Ikea bobble bath mats with puppy pads. I would have a 2x5 c&c but I have moved the hay end to the side, so now it's two grids wide one end, three on the other, if that makes sense?

They poop and pee everywhere, some people have said they've been able to litter train their pigs but I think that is extremely rare!

The bit with the all-white sides is where the hay is:
candc.webp

I have had one mega correx chewer and two that don’t touch it at all. After six years my correx is is great condition, apart from the eaten bits!
I don’t use a ‘kitchen’ area. I use disposable hemp bedding and all my hides have hay in them as well as piles around the cage. A fair amount is ‘wasted’ but they sleep, play, pee and pop in it as well as eat it, so I don’t mind!

I have a correx cage and one piggy who will nibble at it, but he chews everything.
I use woodshavings as the base with lots of hay and bendy bridges and fleecy stuff.
I have a room that is solely for the piggies.

Back