Lost one of our pair, thinking about next steps

thtcrazyguy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So haven’t been on the forum for a while, we had 2 f guineas, and after 4 years, one sadly passed this away this week leaving our remaining 4yr old girl.

Now I know that they do well with a friend or friends, so am debating getting a bonded female trio from a rescue centre, comprising 2x1yr olds and one 2yr old. Or going back to the same breeder we used previously and getting 2 new female babies.

If we get the trio, meaning we have 4, we would upgrade our current 2x4 c&c cage to accommodate.

Anyone have any experience adding new piggies to an older 4yr old bereaved girl?

Hi guys,

So haven’t been on the forum for a while, we had 2 f guineas, and after 4 years, one sadly passed this away this week leaving our remaining 4yr old girl.

Now I know that they do well with a friend or friends, so am debating getting a bonded female trio from a rescue centre, comprising 2x1yr olds and one 2yr old. Or going back to the same breeder we used previously and getting 2 new female babies.

If we get the trio, meaning we have 4, we would upgrade our current 2x4 c&c cage to accommodate.

Anyone have any experience adding new piggies to an older 4yr old bereaved girl?

Hi

I am very sorry for your loss.

In my own experience, it always comes down to character compatibility and to whether one of the two leading sows in an adult-adult merger is willing to step down/submit or not. Is your bereaved sow the leader or not?

Last edited:
Would it be possible for the rescue to do the bonding? Or to pair her up with a singleton? Have you considered a neutered boar as well?

Hope you can find her a suitable friend soon.

So sorry for your loss.
A neutered boar is a good suggestion if that’s a possibility for you.
It is down to character compatibility.
I hope you find a lovely companion for your girl.

Back