Lost one brother and the other seems depressed. Advice needed

Kerrichillipig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I had two brothers bubbles and squeak. Unfortunately squeak passed away before Christmas due to being a runt and having health issues. I'm really worried about bubbles though. He just hasnt been right since his brother passed. Hes always been lively, cheeky and sociable but now he just lies in the corner unless i give him treats. He just isn't himself. I'm not sure if to get a new rescue for him as a companion or if he would be to old for that. Hes around 2-3 years old. they are rescues so we dont fully know their ages but they were siblings. I'm just not sure if a new companion would be a good idea. I just cant stand seeing him so sad. I get him out and play with him but I'm sure I'm just not what he needs. but then will it cause fights

I’m so sorry for your loss.

A new friend is absolutely a good idea and exactly what he needs. He is too young to be alone for too long - he has many years ahead of him and won’t cope being alone for long.
They are usually ok for a few weeks on their own but it sounds as if he is struggling.

He isn’t too old to be bonded with another pig - they can be bonded at any age.
Please do speak to a rescue centre and ask for their help in finding a new friend.

In the meantime, ensure you weigh him either at the routine and lifelong weekly weight checks or if you are worried he is in acute pining, then weigh him daily so you can help him with syringe feeding if he isn’t maintaining his weight.

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Back