Loss of a piggy, need advice

Pixel Piggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have recently lost one of my boars which has come very unexpectedly, unfortunately it has also left my other boar on his own and I can tell he is a little lonely,
I’ve been wanting to try to find another pig or two to bond with him but it is proving difficult as he is an un-neutered male.
I have tried a couple rescues and they have told me trying to bond him with another boar successfully is difficult which I already knew, however, whilst he is waiting to be neutered,
Would putting him next to females cause an issue for him ? They would be in separate cages and never allowed together until he is neutered and has waited 6 weeks,
I just feel worried for him,
Any help/advice would be great,
Thanks !

I’m sorry for your loss.
Bonding with another boar is not difficult - they just need to be character compatible but the same goes for sow/boar bonds as well (it is the sow who needs to accept the boar in the case of a boar/sow bonding). Boars can be bonded and rebonded at any age, it is just that is they are teenagers it can make things trickier due to the hormones.

He will be fine living next door to a sow(s) while waiting neutering and the six week post op wait. You must make sure his cage is secure and ideally lidded as a boar can become very determined to escape their cage if they are in the presence of sows.

Thank you for your reply,
Okay that is promising to hear your perspective,
He is 3, would that make any difference ?
He is quite a relaxed pig,
I have been open to another boar when asking rescues,

Yes I would definitely make sure everything is secure and all the pigs are safe,
I just wanted what’s best for all the pigs involved and what would potentially work the best :)

At 3 years old he would be quite likely to accept a young boar. It does all come down to character though.

Okay that’s good to hear,
He wasn’t the more dominant out of the two so I’m hoping if I do find a suitable boar he’d accept them,
So you think either a boar or a sow would be viable options ?

Yes either is an option (obviously once neutered) but boar/sow pairings are said to be more stable for the long term and less likely to fall out down the line (for example when a baby boar becomes a teen there is an element of unknown). Thar doesn’t mean to say a boar pairing isn’t stable - I have a boar pair who have been happily together for over five years - it’s all about having the right two piggies together regardless of being boar/boar or boar/sow

I’ve bonded teenage boars with baby boars twice now and it’s worked out great. Good luck

Back