Loss of a 5 year old boar

J46

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m sure this is a question that has been asked many times but I’m just after some opinions. One of my boar’s passed away a few nights ago after recurring bladder problems, aged 5. I’m now left with the dominant one of the pair (same age), he seems fine but I understand that just because he seems fine it doesn’t represent how he is feeling and I will be weighing him everyday to be on the safe side. The trouble is, I live in Northern Scotland and I can’t find a rescue near me so Boar Dating seems out of the question. I wouldn’t mind getting a baby boar but I know that compatibility of personalities is the most important thing so I’m aware that there is still a risk of things not working out. I don’t really want to be in the cycle of losing a Guinea pig and then having to get the bereaved one a friend but I also want my current adult to be happy for however long he may be with me. Does anyone have any advice/opinions on this Dilemma?

Thank you.

I am so sorry for the loss of your boy. I am linking some forum threads for you until a bonding expert comes along.

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

The bottom link has a lot of info in it not related to your situation but have a look at the ones titled for boars, there were too many to link separately.
Thank you for those links, I have read through the information. I still feel a bit confused about what the best option is but I’m sure more people will give their thoughts and experiences.

I’m so sorry you lost one of your boys. I don’t know where you live but there is Ayrs guinea pig rescue in Ayr, if you contact them they might know of a rescue in Northern Scotland?

I’m so sorry you lost one of your boys. I don’t know where you live but there is Ayrs guinea pig rescue in Ayr, if you contact them they might know of a rescue in Northern Scotland?
[/QUOTE
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately Ayr is quite a while away but I will contact them in the morning and see if they know of anyone.

So sorry for your loss.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

When I was left with a single boar I opted to have him neutered.
He then lived very happily with 2 sows.

Hi everyone, I’m sure this is a question that has been asked many times but I’m just after some opinions. One of my boar’s passed away a few nights ago after recurring bladder problems, aged 5. I’m now left with the dominant one of the pair (same age), he seems fine but I understand that just because he seems fine it doesn’t represent how he is feeling and I will be weighing him everyday to be on the safe side. The trouble is, I live in Northern Scotland and I can’t find a rescue near me so Boar Dating seems out of the question. I wouldn’t mind getting a baby boar but I know that compatibility of personalities is the most important thing so I’m aware that there is still a risk of things not working out. I don’t really want to be in the cycle of losing a Guinea pig and then having to get the bereaved one a friend but I also want my current adult to be happy for however long he may be with me. Does anyone have any advice/opinions on this Dilemma?

Thank you.
Hi there. We're in the same situation. One of our boys died after a few health issues, we faced a dilemma with our remaining pig Tim. We have decided to keep him solo, pur justification: He is a house pig and has company all day from us. He has nightly cuddles on our knee where he falls asleep like a little cat/dog! He free roams the room he lives in and so comes over for a chat, chin tickle etc when he wants. He is living the best life we can give him. But he is 3.5 yrars old, and like you, we don't want a perpetual bereaved pig/ new friend cycle. I feel this is only an option as Tim has company and cuddles and treats all day, on his own terms, as he is free range, with his own large 'base' in the bay window. If he was in a lonely hutch by himself outside or in a quiet room, it wouldn't be fair.

Pic of nightly cuddles in front of the telly, and general VIP pigging!

Attachments

• IMG-20231215-WA0002.webp
    IMG-20231215-WA0002.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230816_151107.webp
    20230816_151107.webp
    62.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230618_120814.webp
    20230618_120814.webp
    126.7 KB · Views: 4

Thank you.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

You are absolutely right - a single piggy will struggle alone as no amount of human interaction is enough for them. The single piggies guide linked in above explains everything about a piggy who is alone a bit further.

Perhaps you could have a chat with your vet :

1. given his age i too would be reluctant to put him through anaesthetic (i have four boys myself two of whom are almost 6 years old and I wouldn’t want them under anaesthetic at their age), but equally there are piggies who are neutered at that age. It comes down to his general health and the experience of your vet.

2. your vet may have knowledge of a piggy who needs a new home.

Obviously it depends on your available space, but even if you got another older piggy but the two did not bond, living in separate but side by side cages with another single piggy is better than being totally alone.
It is always an issue when somebody wants to end the piggy cycle, there is no easy answer but it is always worth considering that a piggy who still likely has years ahead of them will be much better off with a friend

Hi there. We're in the same situation. One of our boys died after a few health issues, we faced a dilemma with our remaining pig Tim. We have decided to keep him solo, pur justification: He is a house pig and has company all day from us. He has nightly cuddles on our knee where he falls asleep like a little cat/dog! He free roams the room he lives in and so comes over for a chat, chin tickle etc when he wants. He is living the best life we can give him. But he is 3.5 yrars old, and like you, we don't want a perpetual bereaved pig/ new friend cycle. I feel this is only an option as Tim has company and cuddles and treats all day, on his own terms, as he is free range, with his own large 'base' in the bay window. If he was in a lonely hutch by himself outside or in a quiet room, it wouldn't be fair.

That makes

Thank you for your reply, that gives me some comfort. He too free roams the room he lives in with a cage that remains open as a base, unfortunately I’m not home all day though so I think I would still feel bad.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

You are absolutely right - a single piggy will struggle alone as no amount of human interaction is enough for them. The single piggies guide linked in above explains everything about a piggy who is alone a bit further.

Perhaps you could have a chat with your vet :

1. given his age i too would be reluctant to put him through anaesthetic (i have four boys myself two of whom are almost 6 years old and I wouldn’t want them under anaesthetic at their age), but equally there are piggies who are neutered at that age. It comes down to his general health and the experience of your vet.

2. your vet may have knowledge of a piggy who needs a new home.

Obviously it depends on your available space, but even if you got another older piggy but the two did not bond, living in separate but side by side cages with another single piggy is better than being totally alone.
It is always an issue when somebody wants to end the piggy cycle, there is no easy answer but it is always worth considering that a piggy who still likely has years ahead of them will be much better off with a friend
Thank you for the advice. I do have the space to have separate side by side cages and I would happily do that if needs be. It’s not so much that I don’t want to keep pigs after my current one passes, it’s more just the thought of being in this situation again but the happiness of my current one does come first. If somehow I can’t find an adult and either the vet or I decide against neutering, would you recommend I get a baby boar and get the baby neutered so he can live with females when my current pig passes? I know there’s still a chance that I will need to have them in separate cages especially when the baby hits puberty.

Thank you for the advice. I do have the space to have separate side by side cages and I would happily do that if needs be. It’s not so much that I don’t want to keep pigs after my current one passes, it’s more just the thought of being in this situation again but the happiness of my current one does come first. If somehow I can’t find an adult and either the vet or I decide against neutering, would you recommend I get a baby boar and get the baby neutered so he can live with females when my current pig passes? I know there’s still a chance that I will need to have them in separate cages especially when the baby hits puberty.

Neutering a boar while he is young to future proof him is a good idea.
But yes neutering a youngster won’t change his ability to bond with a boar.

Neutering a boar while he is young to future proof him is a good idea.
But yes neutering a youngster won’t change his ability to bond with a boar.
Thank you, I’m still in a bit of a dilemma with the choices but it’s still early days so I’m sure I will come to a decision.

I am sorry for your loss.
Where abouts are you in Scotland? (I live in NE Scotland)

Thank you. I’m also in NE Scotland.
I have also had issues with the whole adoption process, because there is no rescues near here!

My thoughts would be, there is an SSPCA in Banchory but they do not have any male pigs currently, but its always good to keep an eye.
It may also be worth phoning around at the three pets at homes every so often, they all have adoption centres and I find they have a decent "flow" of piggies coming in and out.

My other suggestion would be a rescue in Dundee, which I am aware is still far away but not as far as Ayr. The rescue is called Cavy Capers and they are an amazing bunch of people. I haven't had the pleasure of adopting a pig from them yet but I do donate to them often and have thought about adopting from them a couple times, unfortunately I just wasn't able to find the right pig for me and my situation.

I wish 'choice' wasn't so limited, but I hope you can find the right set-up for you and your boy!

I have also had issues with the whole adoption process, because there is no rescues near here!

My thoughts would be, there is an SSPCA in Banchory but they do not have any male pigs currently, but its always good to keep an eye.
It may also be worth phoning around at the three pets at homes every so often, they all have adoption centres and I find they have a decent "flow" of piggies coming in and out.

My other suggestion would be a rescue in Dundee, which I am aware is still far away but not as far as Ayr. The rescue is called Cavy Capers and they are an amazing bunch of people. I haven't had the pleasure of adopting a pig from them yet but I do donate to them often and have thought about adopting from them a couple times, unfortunately I just wasn't able to find the right pig for me and my situation.

I wish 'choice' wasn't so limited, but I hope you can find the right set-up for you and your boy!
I know, it’d be so much easier to have a rescue in the area. I did check with the SSPCA and as you said they don’t have any at the moment. I forgot about the pets at home adoption scheme, I presume they wouldn’t allow an introduction like an independent rescue would but you never know so I’ll have a look. I actually came across Cavy Capers today and saw they have a single male, it’s just the most awkward time of year with limited amounts of time to be driving down. Do you think my pig will be ok for a few weeks whilst I’m searching? He is still as active and certainly hasn’t lost his appetite.

I know, it’d be so much easier to have a rescue in the area. I did check with the SSPCA and as you said they don’t have any at the moment. I forgot about the pets at home adoption scheme, I presume they wouldn’t allow an introduction like an independent rescue would but you never know so I’ll have a look. I actually came across Cavy Capers today and saw they have a single male, it’s just the most awkward time of year with limited amounts of time to be driving down. Do you think my pig will be ok for a few weeks whilst I’m searching? He is still as active and certainly hasn’t lost his appetite.
If he continues to be active and eating fine then yes, he should be alright on his own.
Just keep a close eye out for any changes, I personally had a single, grieving piggy who was okay on his own for a couple weeks but suddenly started being really lonely and not eating so we had to opt for a baby from pets at home, as opposed to adopting as I originally planned.

So yes, he should be fine on his own!
I hope all goes well with Cavy Capers, you could probably message them about him now, even if you would not be able to get him for a while. I've followed them for a couple years now, and their single males do go quick. They also have some adoption requirements you have to meet to adopt from them, so maybe check ahead that you are suitable, but I don't see why you wouldn't!

Not really relevant but I've just seen gorgeous Wilbur on their page, if he was the one you were looking at. He's just too cute :wub:
They seem to have/had a couple single males recently, I hope you will find one that's perfect for you! I know they offer bonding sometimes, but unfortunately if they are very busy they don't have the ability to offer boar bonding, so that would also be a question to ask!

Let us know how you get on!

Last edited:
That’s good to know, I will keep a close eye on him. I will think more about Cavy Capers too, it was Wilbur I was looking at!

That makes
Thank you for your reply, that gives me some comfort. He too free roams the room he lives in with a cage that remains open as a base, unfortunately I’m not home all day though so I think I would still feel bad.

I understand- we're very lucky in that my husband works from.home and his office is also where our guinea pig is so he has constant company, and walks over to my husbands chair when he's ready for a cuddle!

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. It was 3 weeks on Monday since my current pig lost his brother. Boar dating is not accessible in my area and I still haven’t found any companion for him so I want to extend my options but I want to double check before considering it as an option. My boy currently has the run of a room but I do have space to separate the room. My question is, if I find a bonded boar pair to rehome before I find a single male to attempt bonding/to have as a neighbour, would it work to have a bonded pair of boars as neighbours for my current pig or would that be stressful for any pigs involved/do any damage to the pairs bond? I did consider a pair of sows as neighbours, obviously with very secure separation but he has never been around girls so I don’t want the scent to drive him crazy even if he is a bit older. I assume with no females around then the former option should work but just want to be sure.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. It was 3 weeks on Monday since my current pig lost his brother. Boar dating is not accessible in my area and I still haven’t found any companion for him so I want to extend my options but I want to double check before considering it as an option. My boy currently has the run of a room but I do have space to separate the room. My question is, if I find a bonded boar pair to rehome before I find a single male to attempt bonding/to have as a neighbour, would it work to have a bonded pair of boars as neighbours for my current pig or would that be stressful for any pigs involved/do any damage to the pairs bond? I did consider a pair of sows as neighbours, obviously with very secure separation but he has never been around girls so I don’t want the scent to drive him crazy even if he is a bit older. I assume with no females around then the former option should work but just want to be sure.

Thank you

It’s absolutely fine to have a bonded pair living beside a single piggy.
This is the kind of set up I have. I have bonded pair and two single piggies (who used to be a pair) and all four of them live happily in my shed

It’s absolutely fine to have a bonded pair living beside a single piggy.
This is the kind of set up I have. I have bonded pair and two single piggies (who used to be a pair) and all four of them live happily in my shed

That’s great to know! Hopefully I can find him some company quicker than I expected.

Hi everyone, just a quick update. My boar was starting to get depressed and I didn’t feel it was right to wait any longer so I decided to rehome two girls for him to have as neighbours. I thought it would drive him crazy seeing as he has never been around girls but thankfully he isn’t trying to chew/squeeze through the bars and is happy with them just being neighbours. He sits waiting for them to come out. IMG_2972.webpIMG_2969.webpIMG_2971.webp

Oh that’s lovely news! Good on you for giving him some companionship in his older age. We did that for our Ted (although he was neutered) but these older boys are really chilled and just love the company of sows

Reactions: J46
Back