• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Losing weight

• Thread starter Thread starter frost1375
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frost1375

I've noticed within the past few months that my two year old female guinea pig has been losing weight. At first she just seemed really scruffy and her fur was strange. Then I realized it probably looked that way because she wasn't as fat as usual. She seems to be eating and drinking everything normally. She lives with two other females who are still fat. She seems to be healthy otherwise. Does anyone have any ideas on why she seems to be losing weight or how to help plump her up? Thanks.

I would use a herbal wormer on her first of all, and after that a course of Probiotics and go from there. There may be other stuff going on inside her such as kidney probs etc.
Has she broken any teeth in the past few months? Sometimes when they break they don't grow back as before causing difficulties.

Herbal wormer document

i would seperate her from the other two for a few days, like put a divider up to half the cage so they can still see each other etc. and just see how much she is actually eating. whether she is dribbling when chewing to show it is teeth. or to see if there is any bullying etc. i had to seperate my girls cause jessie was mounting zoe all the time and zoe had surgery. and i am shocked at how fussy jessie is in the eating department. :tickedoff: :tickedoff: which i wouldn't have noticed if i hadn't seperated them. if concerned make a vet appointment and get her checked out. it is sunday morning here don't know whether vets are open in the UK but they aren't here in south australia . only an after hours emergency vet and what they know about guinea pigs and rabbits you could write on one hand. :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: sending hugs and cuddles to you and your babies. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: please keep us updated. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back