• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lopsided piggy

• Thread starter Thread starter mum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mum

I wondered if anyone can give me some advice.My piggy Rainbow has his head on one side and walks round in circles.I took him to the CCT and Vedra said there was no sign of an ear infection and thought it was a stroke or hereditary.The last few days he seems to have got worse,he can eat if he is propped against a box or tube else not he goes round and round until he hits in to something to stop him.Has anyone had a piggy like this?I"m worried that I"m being cruel keeping him alive but he doesn"t seem as if he is suffering .What do I do please?

Did you treat for an ear infection just in case?

E Cunicculi causes head tilt in rabbits but not sure about guineas.

This is a one-in-a-million shot but does anyone more experienced than me think it could be Mites? But tho only thing that pops out at me is Ear infection. Either way good luck! O0

id have thought inner ear infection..maybe take him for a second opinion and get him treated for it just incase, because if i remember rightly its hard to sort out and get on top of once its spread into the other ear?

Yes to ear infection/mites, and I would treat for mites first with Otodex (depending on how bad piggy is).

Hi

I had this with my Cubby and it turned out to be a sore eye, I didn't notice his eye until it turned opaque, then we bathed and treated with Brolene and he got better. But it was scary at first I thought he had a bad ear or had had a stroke, he was eating with his head in the bowl sideways.
So check his eye on the side he is holding over - worth a try!

I cant give any advice as I dont know but I do hope he will be ok.Thinkingof you :)

Things have got progressively worse overnight.Rainbow now can"t walk properly and falls over and can"t get back up again.I"m now going to phone the vet.

oh, I'm so sorry she isn't getting any better, vets is the best idea..keep us updated, and hope you get on ok at the vets.

I do hope your piggy will be o.k. He has possibly had a stroke.,or another possibility is cerebellar disease which is caused by an inner ear infection.

If it is a stroke do not let the vet put him down,I have known piggies to survive and go on to live a normal life.

Have posted on the Rainbow Bridge.The vet said it was kinder to put him down.Its the hardest thing I have ever done,

If you don't have the means to treat them, regardless of whether or not its possible, then this is the kindest thing to do. I hope you can see through the tears soon :)

My wee eddie is behaving in the same way and I am waiting to get a phone call from the vet asap. But i thought they could recover from strokes or was it a case of the wee one being in pain?

Have pmd you regarding stroke,which they can recover from(but not always).It is the same as with humans,a massive cva can kill instantly,the person can be left with semi paralysis ,or difficulty with speaking,or can make a complete recovery.

Stroke does not cause pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back