• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Looks like Mammary tumor. How do I deal with this?

Bingobub

New Born Pup
Reaction score
20210227_185309.webp
This is my female guinea pig (4 yrs old) who is behaving healthy and seems fine but I noticed what looks like a mammary gland tumor. I live in India in a city where hardly any vet deals with Guinea pigs. I am planning to travel about 400 miles just to get a surgery. I'd like to know a few things: 1. People say surgeries have success rate of 50 percent. Is that true? 2. It would take atleast 15 days when my college break starts & I can take her for surgery. Will it be fine for her? 3. Can anyone share their experience about mammary gland tumor removal? I'd really appreciate a response!

Another thing, it is a free floating tumor by what I can judge from inspection so it doesn't look like muscles are involved in it.

Another thing, it is a free floating tumor by what I can judge from inspection so it doesn't look like muscles are involved in it.

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry; it is never anything you want to see in your piggies.

Your piggy will need a removal operation as soon as possible. Mammary tumors will simply keep on growing until they are huge and prevent a piggy from touching the ground with all four feet if left in the body.

As long as they are fairly small and not attached to anything, they are comparatively easy to remove. The good news is that many mammary tumors are benign and that even malign tumors don't mean the end of the road if they are caught early on.

Here is more information:
Guinea Lynx :: Mammary Tumor

For the case that your piggy doesn't have a smooth recovery (which I sincerely hope won't be the case):
Tips For Post-operative Care
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Emergency Resources and Critical Illness Care - Contents list and subforum link

Back