Looking to buy hay online, any recommendations?

Babble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Currently wanting to get my girls off meadow hay and onto timothy, there is none local to me to buy so I've resorted to online. I did find Haybox and ordered samples which they do like, but i want to look into more options. I live in the UK so any companies outside here i cant get from cuz of shipping prices and such, any recommendations on good quality companies?

I use happy hay co. I buy a bale of orchard hay from them.
I do know the Timothy from happy hay is coarse cut which most piggies (except @Lorcan ‘s!) don’t like.

I use happy hay co. I buy a bale of orchard hay from them.
I do know the Timothy from happy hay is coarse cut which most piggies (except @Lorcan ‘s!) don’t like.
I'm thinking of doing a mix of timothy in a hay feeder, then maybe meadow or orchard as bedding & digging? I know my girls do not like coarse cut as they ignored it completely from the sample i have atm. Do you know if HayBox is a good provider for quality? or should i try to find a different company?

I'm thinking of doing a mix of timothy in a hay feeder, then maybe meadow or orchard as bedding & digging? I know my girls do not like coarse cut as they ignored it completely from the sample i have atm. Do you know if HayBox is a good provider for quality? or should i try to find a different company?

I use meadow and orchard (orchard from happy hay and meadow bales from A local farm) and fully fill their cages with it (I personally never use hay racks/feeders). I have taken to buying a bag of Natures Own dandelion Timothy as a treat hay. It’s very soft spindly hay and only in a tiny 1kg bag ( which for my five animals barely lasts a few days) but it’s a nice little addition for them.

I have my issues with haybox and havent used them for a year or maybe two now actually. They suddenly changed their subscription delivery charge threshold without notifying anyone so I was suddenly hit with a delivery charge all because I amended an item on my subscription. I refuse to use them on principle now. With that said, it was nice hay.
Their Timothy however is coarse so I couldnt use it and it doesn’t sound like you will either! . You can get a blend from them which contains a mix of coarse and soft (which of course the coarse then just got ignored). I did feed their soft cut but it’s quite rich and while my animals never had an issue with it, I know others on here for whom it caused their piggies to have dodgy poops.

I use the Little Hay company - they do charge postage but all their hay is very good quality and they do forage and other stuff too.
I stopped using Haybox as the hay declined in quality and I received damaged deliveries and they wouldn’t help with poor quality or damaged boxes so that was it for me !
Lots of people here can recommend different companies for you to try 🥰

Little Hay Co for us too....my three can't get enough of it and I've always found the quality great.

A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

Lots of hay company suggestions in link above.
I've just had a delivery of soft timothy from Hay Box, it's lovely quality at the moment. I said I'd never order from them again but my 2 oldies have stopped eating enough hay and started dropping weight. I have a house full of hay having tried all the local pet shops and some on line company's for something they would eat. Hay Box was my last resort and they are eating well again so it has been worth eating my words! I did have soft poop problems with the soft timothy in the past but at the moment that would be the lesser of two evils.

I tried a couple of different suppliers after Haybox changed and I had a few different issues with them. Shame as I used them for years.

Settled on Hayday, which goes down very well with all our ladies. We get three boxes at a time on a subscription. The price gets better the more boxes you order at a time and you get a discount for subscription, which you can easily change any time (the amount, type, frequency or next order date) or cancel it ie. you're not tied in.

We tried Little Hay... I can't remember why we didn't like it in the end. All piggies are different so they'll probably tell you which one they will get on with! haha

Back