Looking for rehoming/adoption centres in Scotland

Y2Craig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

Sadly our Seth passed away not long before Christmas. He was almost 7 and we like to think he had a good life :)

Now, we're hoping to rehome a pair of pigs in the next few months, but unsure where to look. Can anyone recommend rescue/rehoming centres in Central Scotland? We're Stirling-based, so the closer the better.

Thanks

Craig

There's a rescue locator in the drop down menu. (On my phone this is the 3 lines in the top left corner).

Welcome to the forum 👋

Hi,

Sadly our Seth passed away not long before Christmas. He was almost 7 and we like to think he had a good life :)

Now, we're hoping to rehome a pair of pigs in the next few months, but unsure where to look. Can anyone recommend rescue/rehoming centres in Central Scotland? We're Stirling-based, so the closer the better.

Thanks

Craig

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss. 7 years is a great age to live to!

There is currently sadly only one guinea pig rescue in Scotland that we can recommend that you and any guinea pigs are in very safe hands, and that is Ayr's Guinea Pig Rescue. I may add that is worth travelling further afield if you want to come home with fully quarantined, healthy and stably bonded piggies with no nasty surprises. They have also currently quite a number of lovely bonded boy pairs looking for a new home, so you will be spoiled for choice.
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Rescue Locator

@Julie M is volunteering for Ayr and can help you with further advice.

Hi!

There is currently sadly only one guinea pig rescue in Scotland that we can recommend that you and any guinea pigs are in very safe hands, and that is Ayr's Guinea Pig Rescue. I may add that is worth travelling further afield if you want to come home with fully quarantined and stably bonded piggies with no nasty surprises.
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Rescue Locator

@Julie M is volunteering for Ayr and can help you with further

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss. 7 years is a great age to live to!

There is currently sadly only one guinea pig rescue in Scotland that we can recommend that you and any guinea pigs are in very safe hands, and that is Ayr's Guinea Pig Rescue. I may add that is worth travelling further afield if you want to come home with fully quarantined, healthy and stably bonded piggies with no nasty surprises. They have also currently quite a number of lovely bonded boy pairs looking for a new home, so you will be spoiled for choice.
Rescue Locator

@Julie M is volunteering for Ayr and can help you with further advice.
Unfortunately, I think Ayr's a bit too far for us just now, but thanks for the information :)

Unfortunately, I think Ayr's a bit too far for us just now, but thanks for the information :)

It may still be worth speaking to the rescue; they do rehome across the whole of Scotland and may have fosterers closer towards the Glasgow area.
Otherwise, the RSPCA Edinburgh do have guinea pigs, at least sometimes.

PS: I have travelled further with adoptees of mine in England both by car and by train.

Sorry only just seen this thread (lots of hours at day job lately). We have a great number of gorgeous boars all different ages for rehoming. Not all of them are on the website. We have homed all over the country, as long as you have a good sized carrier filled with hay and some cucumber for fluids the piggies are usually quite comfortable and travel well, we have had piggies travel to teas in Northamptonshire by train before. You would only have to make the journey once as all the admin can be done online and then once everything was OK you could make the journey to select your new family members. Ayrs guinea pig rescue and rehoming centre is based in Ayr Town centre a short walk from the railway station, lots of trains from Glasgow daily. So you'd maybe only need to switch once 🤷‍♀️. Hope this info helps and again sorry for the late reply.

Here are our very practical travelling tips with guinea pigs: Travelling with guinea pigs

PS: I know that I am a bit infamous but I have travelled as far as South, Mid and North Wales on the train, to West and South Yorkshire and even to Sandwich at the end of Kent to pick up adoptees over the years. Other piggies have arrived here from Gretna on the Scottish border (pick up was once in Wigan and once in Warrington by Liverpool), Newcastle, from West Sussex and Devon and once even as part of an emergency from the Channel Islands; the last was a several days trip with a rather ferry crossing with the oldest of them being 9 years old; she went on to a private sanctuary in Liverpool from here with her 6 year old 'toy boy' companion as the last leg of her long journey and lived for another half year. None of the piggies has taken any harm.

Of the still living piggies, my three adoptees from the South Coast in Devon are now 6 and 5 years old (two different lots arriving at different times), the East Kent girls (which was a surprisingly straight forward 5 hours two trains journey with a mile walk between London stations and including plenty of wiggle time to make sure I was not going to miss the Coventry train) are now coming up to 5 years; my second Newcastle piggy is around 3/4 years by now.
I consider a 90 minutes drive/train journey radius as local as there is no decent guinea pig rescue in Coventry (the local RSPCA doesn't run them) so I have to look further afield.
The vast majority of my previous long distance adoptees have lived between 6-8 years of age.

I hope that these experiences from over a decade of adopting from all over the UK are helping you?

Sorry only just seen this thread (lots of hours at day job lately). We have a great number of gorgeous boars all different ages for rehoming. Not all of them are on the website. We have homed all over the country, as long as you have a good sized carrier filled with hay and some cucumber for fluids the piggies are usually quite comfortable and travel well, we have had piggies travel to teas in Northamptonshire by train before. You would only have to make the journey once as all the admin can be done online and then once everything was OK you could make the journey to select your new family members. Ayrs guinea pig rescue and rehoming centre is based in Ayr Town centre a short walk from the railway station, lots of trains from Glasgow daily. So you'd maybe only need to switch once 🤷‍♀️. Hope this info helps and again sorry for the late reply.
That's great to know, thanks. That's put my mind at ease about travel, with our last two pigs it was only a 15 minute journey from Falkirk!

Here are our very practical travelling tips with guinea pigs: Travelling with guinea pigs

PS: I know that I am a bit infamous but I have travelled as far as South, Mid and North Wales on the train, to West and South Yorkshire and even to Sandwich at the end of Kent to pick up adoptees over the years. Other piggies have arrived here from Gretna on the Scottish border (pick up was once in Wigan and once in Warrington by Liverpool), Newcastle, from West Sussex and Devon and once even as part of an emergency from the Channel Islands; the last was a several days trip with a rather ferry crossing with the oldest of them being 9 years old; she went on to a private sanctuary in Liverpool from here with her 6 year old 'toy boy' companion as the last leg of her long journey and lived for another half year. None of the piggies has taken any harm.

Of the still living piggies, my three adoptees from the South Coast in Devon are now 6 and 5 years old (two different lots arriving at different times), the East Kent girls (which was a surprisingly straight forward 5 hours two trains journey with a mile walk between London stations and including plenty of wiggle time to make sure I was not going to miss the Coventry train) are now coming up to 5 years; my second Newcastle piggy is around 3/4 years by now.
I consider a 90 minutes drive/train journey radius as local as there is no decent guinea pig rescue in Coventry (the local RSPCA doesn't run them) so I have to look further afield.
The vast majority of my previous long distance adoptees have lived between 6-8 years of age.

I hope that these experiences from over a decade of adopting from all over the UK are helping you?
Wow, that's dedication! Thanks for sharing your experiences, it is very helpful :)

Wow, that's dedication! Thanks for sharing your experiences, it is very helpful :)

If it helps you, I have been on the train for over 3 hours with piggies of 9 weeks to 9 year and on car journeys of over 6 hours with piggies of mine. They have all survived their experience just fine. If they have something watery to eat before you set out (pice of cucumber) and soft hay to snuggle into and nibble on during the trip, they will be well hydrated and will sleep off most of the trip; especially with the vibrations in a car on straight roads.

Hi are you still looking to rehome? We are looking to adopt in stiriling

Craig don’t worry about travelling with guinea pigs, my Bill and Ted regularly travelled a 600 mile round trip to get dental treatment for Ted. You’ll find they are excellent travellers as long as they feel secure and cosy with food to nibble

I'm also looking to rehome a white male gunea of 3.5 years old.
Very cute, will be very unafraid when hungry, but will naturally revert to type and run for the hills at any movement and yet at times will run around your feet, again when hungry.
Love the sounds esp when contently eating their food or in a trance.
Diet so far has been mostly Lettuce, cucumber, hay and weekly pepper and carrot.

Distance isnt an issue to travel to in order to ensure the Guinea can bond with other guneas

I'm also looking to rehome a white male gunea of 3.5 years old.
Very cute, will be very unafraid when hungry, but will naturally revert to type and run for the hills at any movement and yet at times will run around your feet, again when hungry.
Love the sounds esp when contently eating their food or in a trance.
Diet so far has been mostly Lettuce, cucumber, hay and weekly pepper and carrot.

Distance isnt an issue to travel to in order to ensure the Guinea can bond with other guneas
Contact "Ayrs Guinea pig rescue and rehoming centre" either on Facebook or on the website. Emails take longer than Facebook messages to be responded to as only one volunteer has access to them. Multiple volunteers can access messages on Facebook

Contact "Ayrs Guinea pig rescue and rehoming centre" either on Facebook or on the website. Emails take longer than Facebook messages to be responded to as only one volunteer has access to them. Multiple volunteers can access messages on Facebook
Thank you Julie. Are there any additional options. I noticed on their FB page they mention that females are being rehomed easier. They're ideal group to approach in terms of understanding and caring for the guineas, but wondered if another rescue centre else might have better luck.

Thank you Julie. Are there any additional options. I noticed on their FB page they mention that females are being rehomed easier. They're ideal group to approach in terms of understanding and caring for the guineas, but wondered if another rescue centre else might have better luck.
It's the same pretty much at all rescues unfortunately. However single boars tend to find homes easier because people come for the bonding service they offer. Where bereaved or single boars come to find a friend

It's the same pretty much at all rescues unfortunately. However single boars tend to find homes easier because people come for the bonding service they offer. Where bereaved or single boars come to find a friend
Thank you. I should have come here much earlier and saved everyone, particulary the Guinea a lot of time.

Back