• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Looking for answers about death

tsukico

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just yesterday my 6 month old guinea pig passed away very suddenly. I noticed she had been acting off for a few days, starting with pained wheeks, which at first I thought she was just fighting with her cage mate, and eventually evolved to barely eating and sitting around puffed up. I took her to the vet yesterday morning after I noticed the puffing up. After checking they said she was perfectly healthy but gave painkillers to give her just in case she had gotten injuired somewhere, they said it may have been a fracture.

Only a few hours after getting home and having the medicine, she went into cardiac arrest, i rushed her to the vet but they couldn't save her and she passed away.

Does anybody know what this could have been? I just can't believe she was taken from me so young after she was acting perfectly normal just a week ago. I now have one older guinea pig who has gone through two deaths within a few months and I don't want to experience this anymore, is it fine to just leave her alone and give her plently of attention until her time comes?

Thank you in advance

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Sadly we cannot tell you what happened - sudden deaths are always a huge shock.

How old is your other piggy?
It’s alway difficult if you wish to end the piggy cycle and particularly coming so soon after a sudden shock but leaving her on her own is not really a suitable option, particularly if you are looking at it being years alone. Your piggy will find being alone hard even if she never shows signs of it. Human interaction is not enough I’m afraid.
If you have the option to foster a friend for her to see out her life then that is a good option. It means she gets a companion for the rest of her life but you can end your piggy cycle by handing the foster piggy back to the rescue centre once your piggy passes.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Sadly we cannot tell you what happened - sudden deaths are always a huge shock.

How old is your other piggy?
It’s alway difficult if you wish to end the piggy cycle and particularly coming so soon after a sudden shock but leaving her on her own is not really a suitable option, particularly if you are looking at it being years alone. Your piggy will find being alone hard even if she never shows signs of it. Human interaction is not enough I’m afraid.
If you have the option to foster a friend for her to see out her life then that is a good option. It means she gets a companion for the rest of her life but you can end your piggy cycle by handing the foster piggy back to the rescue centre once your piggy passes.

Thank you for your reply

She is 3 years old, and I am considering fostering as I don't want her to be alone.

Hi I am so sorry for your loss we lost our gorgeous boy at only 5 months old suddenly it is heartbreaking but as long as she was happy in the time you had her that's what is important.
As for your other girl yes she will need a friend they are not meant to live alone 💕

Thank you for your reply

She is 3 years old, and I am considering fostering as I don't want her to be alone.

So yes she is too young for you to consider spending the rest of her life alone - potentially another 5 years of her life left. If you can see if a rescue near you offers fostering/adoption with a return to them policy then that would be a good option.

Hi all,

Just yesterday my 6 month old guinea pig passed away very suddenly. I noticed she had been acting off for a few days, starting with pained wheeks, which at first I thought she was just fighting with her cage mate, and eventually evolved to barely eating and sitting around puffed up. I took her to the vet yesterday morning after I noticed the puffing up. After checking they said she was perfectly healthy but gave painkillers to give her just in case she had gotten injuired somewhere, they said it may have been a fracture.

Only a few hours after getting home and having the medicine, she went into cardiac arrest, i rushed her to the vet but they couldn't save her and she passed away.

Does anybody know what this could have been? I just can't believe she was taken from me so young after she was acting perfectly normal just a week ago. I now have one older guinea pig who has gone through two deaths within a few months and I don't want to experience this anymore, is it fine to just leave her alone and give her plently of attention until her time comes?

Thank you in advance
I’m so sorry for your sudden loss. Sending you massive hugs. ❤️

Oh dear, what a shock that must have been! I would agree with the others and get in touch with some local rescues who will be sure to help you find a new friend for her x

Hi I am so sorry for your loss we lost our gorgeous boy at only 5 months old suddenly it is heartbreaking but as long as she was happy in the time you had her that's what is important.
As for your other girl yes she will need a friend they are not meant to live alone 💕
I'm sorry you had to go through the same, thank you so much for your reply

Back